Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Carrier

thillin
thillin Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
SSN686 post pics of a mini egg carrier. Anyone have the specs on it? Any suggestions on wood type?

Here's the thread I found.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2005/messages/225943.htm

Comments

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    now that is frikkin sweet.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning thillin:

Here is the information I have sent to others regarding the mini-carrier. Please feel free to email me if you have additional questions.

I was able to get all of the pieces out of one 2 foot by 4 foot piece of 3/4” plywood. I first cut a 15” wide by 48” long piece. This then was cut into two 15” square pieces and one 15” x 18” piece. The center hole is cut out of the 15x18 piece with room at each long end for the handle cuts. I used a router to smooth the handle and center cuts. The diameter of the center hole is 12”.

Out of the remaining 9” x 48” piece you can cut the four uprights on the corners. These are 2” wide by 6-3/8“ long. You want to install these on each corner, but at right angles to each other for better stability (I think you can see what I mean in the pictures in the post).

Next the bottom compartment for storing the internals for traveling is made from four pieces 12” long by 5” wide (I did mine 4-1/2“ wide and that wasn’t quite enough.). I used a couple of magnetic door catches on the front piece to get access to put the internals in. If I were to add anything, it might be to put some foam on the inside of the bottom compartment to make the internals fit without sliding too much.

I think you can get the idea of how it goes together from this (used wood screws and carpenters glue on all joints).

Hope this helps!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I agree - that carrier was cool. OTOH if you are looking for a "no-build" quickie solution just try a plant stand from Wally World. While this is now an old picture it still works for our mini for easy-peasy transportation. You may have to double click on the pix to see it. BTW the rigid handle vs the standard wire "bale" handle is from a piece of strap I cut and bent and the wood master piece is from Lawn Ranger.
    th_IMG_0701.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • deepsouth
    RRP wrote:
    I agree - that carrier was cool. OTOH if you are looking for a "no-build" quickie solution just try a plant stand from Wally World. While this is now an old picture it still works for our mini for easy-peasy transportation. You may have to double click on the pix to see it. BTW the rigid handle vs the standard wire "bale" handle is from a piece of strap I cut and bent and the wood master piece is from Lawn Ranger.
    th_IMG_0701.jpg

do you find that to be pretty stable? (obviously a stupid question)

also, the handle on that one...... sweet. wish i understand more what you did. "pece of strap"?

color me constructionally ignorant.
  • thillin
    OT,

My wife is from Long Beach. We're down your way a couple times a year. Sure miss those nice big old homes that lined Beach Rd.
  • thillin
    Thanks. I have a cart that I want to put it on, but be able to move it to the bottom when not using.
  • deepsouth
    thillin wrote:
    OT,

My wife is from Long Beach. We're down your way a couple times a year. Sure miss those nice big old homes that lined Beach Rd.

we miss them as well.

hit me up please when you are down so we can meet up or something.

i'll probably get you to explain that carrier again. i don't think i have the tools or the skills to make such a thing, but who knows.
  • RRP
    stable...yes on a solid fireproof surface - certainly not on the indoor carpet where I took those pictures when it was brand spanking new! As for the "strap" iron that was from an old BGE band that I straightened, re bent and repainted.
    Here...IMG_0677.jpg
  • deepsouth
    sweet. i wish i was handy like that.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Hey Ron, I was wondering if you could show a close up or closer shot of how that handle mounted onto your small. It looks innovative and I need to build a handle for my 25yr old large. It has the same handle type as the small. Thanks.
  • RRP
    I merely bent the wire in the bale handle so I could remove it. Then that left the two "L" shaped pieces welded to the band. Then I measured and bent the strap as required and bolted it on. Here's a close up as you requested.
    IMG_2483.jpg

Note the needed inward bends at the end to make it flush with the "L".
    IMG_0677.jpg