Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Okay how do you lite from below?

Options
CR
CR Posts: 175
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read the thread below regarding the pros & cons of lighting the lump from below the firebox grid.
If I wanted to try this how do you actually do it? I cannot fit my hand into the draft door so what do you do, light a starter cube and try to push it into the firebox and then how do you ensure that it is situated optimally underneath a hole in the grate?

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    CR,[p]Use a pair of tongs to position the lighted cube under the grate. Look from above to see if you have it positioned in the middle. If you're gonna have too much lump so you can't see the flame then before you assemble the fire, remove the grate and find where the middle is on the floor where you will placing your cube. Good Luck!
    WD

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    CR,
    I balance a starter cube on my ash tool and insert the cube into the middle of the egg's floor. Then I use a fireplace match to light it.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    I'm a bit confused as to being able to see the flame from the top. I always have too much lump in to do this. I tried the other night to light from below. I have starter "sticks" as opposed to cubes. I lit the stick and pushed it under the grate with my ash tool. I noticed that I was not getting much draw. I took a coat hange and poked at the holes from beneath the grate and it worked fine. I got a very nice, hot and even fire. I will do this in the future. I am looking for a better way to ensure the holes in my grate are clear to accept the flame.
    My .02

Apollo Beach, FL
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    Wardster,[p]My egg sits on the ground and I literally have to put my face in the dirt to look through the vent. So I have graduated to lighting from above. The few times I've lit it from below the grate I had just enough lump to make a fire and could see the flame through the grate holes that were not covered and could position the flame from there.
    Much easier for me to light from the top. [p]Now when I am doing a long low and slow I use Char~Woody's suggestion to begin with a clean grate and firebox, lay larger lump over the grate holes, kinda in a loose jigsaw pattern... no need to get too AR about it, and lean larger pieces to cover the holes on the firebox. CW reasons that this will help keep smaller lump from falling into the holes during the cook that will restrict airflow which may choke the fire. Since I have a the original ceramic grate, this can be a problem.
    Then build a small fire on top of this and get it going 'til the pile is good and red hot. When that pile is red embers pour a layer of lump to just cover, add the wood chips or chunks then fill up to at least the top of the firebox.
    Before CW goes to bed he will do your trick of jiggling the clothes hanger thingee through the grate holes to dislodge any cloggers. I always forget to do this step and have yet to have a fire go out on me [p]If you want a little more punch, Weber cubes tend to give you a larger flame than starter sticks.[p]Sorry about the confusing post earlier... still not sure if I've answered your questions, tho. :~)
    Got a couple butts going on around 10 tonight and will sleep like a baby.... thanks to CW.[p]Friday Beers,
    WD

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Great post, sir.
    Who is CW???[p]Friday beers right back on atcha.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]C~W, or the Venerable Char~Woody, is a kindly ceramic enthusiast feller who knows his way around good bbq and, as I am told, once posted quite often right here in the green room. Legend has it he lives somewheres in the corn belt of Ioway where he perpetually wafts of hickory.
    And according to Cornfed, if you yell "Heeeeeeee!" into the night C~W, wherever he is, fires up the Egg for some Q... so every night before bed I go out on the front porch, point my piehole west and let rip with a good Heeeeeee![p]WD[p]Oh yeah, C~W was the first to call me WooDoggies...[p][p]