Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I photoed some'en: 4 Corners slide show ride up.

JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well it has taken me long enough but I have finnaly got our trip out west togeather. Photobucket has been a pain putting this many pics togeather. 50 pics is the "free" limit and its best to down load 4 or 5, caption them and save. Then go back into edit slide show and add 4 or 5 more, ect. I down loaded all 50 at once and captioned 2x and it locked up on me and had to start over. If I did 10ish of them it would lock up also. You can see the agrivation! :angry:
Anyway its togeather. We left S. Ark the second Tuesday of July and made it to Amerillo Tx (597 miles) the 1st day. Rained from Amerillo to Alberquerquie N.M then cleared up for the rest of the ride into Gallup N.M. Wife loves the inlayed jewlery the Zunnie Indians do just S. of Gallup and in the stores in Gallup. I buy fetishes from them(stone carvings sometimes inlayed with terquoes of animals) off the streets like some drug dealer! :laugh: Of course they reconize me as a tourest and approch me to sell them. I get them cheaper than the mark up in the shops and the Zunnie get more for them than the shop owners will pay. We stay at the El Ranchero on old RT. 66. Was built in 40's by a movie producer's brother for all the old western movie stars to stay in while filming out there. Walls are full of sighned photos and the place is kept up wonderfully. In one of the pics you can see our room with balconey over looking garden. 70 bucks a night and clean. The first thing my wife does when we get to a motel is look at the tolet and lift the lid. If my wife says its clean, its clean!! Only draw back is the bathrooms are small. There is also a real good Mexican resturant in the hotel and washer/dryer to do close while on the road.
Leaving Gallup we headed off threw Najavio Nation of AZ up to Monument Valley in S.W Utah. Most people have seen this area before as alot of the old westerns were filmed hear. The road threw the valley is spactacular.
We just passed threw Monument Valley on our way to Moab Utah. Every turn or hill brings a new sceen and is just wonderful. They have a place in Mexican Hat Utah called the "Swinging Grill". The place is just a little hole in the wall town but the resturant builds a misquet fire and has a large grill on chains that swings back and forth to cook the stake. On Friday and Sat. night they roll up a door and a band plays on a small stage. From what I hear a good time is had by all and I was game to see if it were true and stop for the night but the misses thought it prudent for me to press on. Party pooper she is!!
Moab is a single mans dream. It is the "adventure capital" of the world as the doller is so week in Europe that they come over hear cheaper than they can staying there. 70% of the people in Moab at any one time are European from Sweadon, Denmark, Italy, Switzerland ect and between the age of 18 and 40 something. They come to do outdoor strenious adventure sports such as mt climbing, mt biking (non motorized), white water ect so they are young, thin, and don't have much use for Victoria's Secreats if you know what I mean. B)
Canyonlands National Park and Arches National Park as well as Deadhorse State Park is located just outside Moab and pictures can never do this place justice. We crammed all three into one day. Arches in the late evening was something.
Headed east on Co. hwy 145 we rode threw Ouray, Silverton and down to Durango. If you look at one of the pics of me and the bike infrount of Red MT Pass sighn we were at 11000 feet and sun was shining but cool (50's). A lady pulled up in a car and said she was from there and we had better get our pics and head on down to Silverton as it was fixiing to storm. Made Silverton but then the storm set in between there and Durango. Had no choice but to ride threw it and not fun in a storm at 10,000 feet but such is the price you pay.
Just spent night in Durango and not real impressed with it. Not really in the high MT's and very touresty!! The chineese resturant was one of the best meals of the trip. On a river outside, 55 degrees and the Seshawon chicken so hot and spicie most people couldn't eat it. I loved it and sipping hot sakkie just toped it off.
Left there and headed to Taos New Mexico. We were there last year for the day and it reminds me of Santa Fe 30 years ago. Smaller and more "real". Santa Fe has gotten to be to big of tourest trap and people. Taos also has the Taos Indian Reservation. They are only allowed propane in the old village. No electricity,running h20 ect. It's really a special place. Almost like stepping back 200 years and very layed back and peacfull to catch up on rest and recharge before the hard ride home. Stayed at El Peublo motel. 69 bucks and three big rooms in each room and CLEAN! Grounds are kept up beautiful. Spent two days there and then headed home. 3017 miles 10 days. Pics do not start to show this country off but I'll try. Just click on the pic below to open a Photobucket slide show.

th_7-16-08051.jpg

Comments