Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacement Gasket (LGE) needed

Options
ACT 1
ACT 1 Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone give me information on an alternative material that can be used for the gasket? I am very much of a newbie when it comes to grilling/smoking on my LGE, and can see that it is most probable I’ll need a replacement gasket soon. I have tried ordering from three of my local retailers, however I was informed there is a backorder of two months. I don’t understand why there would be such a delay.

I love my egg! In particular using it to smoke with, so a working gasket is needed.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    You can order the new upgraded ones from the Mothership....
  • ACT 1
    Options
    Thanks Kim! Can you send me the contact info? I searched the website and don’t see an area where I can order directly.
    ~ newbie in PA
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Click on the 'green egg' picture top of screen right, just below log off. It will take you the the BGE page.

Click on contact. All information to contact them is there.

If you are going to replace you could consider the new Nomex gasket material.

I really don't understand a 'back order' time on the felt gasket material. The 3 dealers out there all have the large, but not the medium gasket sets.

You said you are a newbie on the large. I wonder if your large is new and if so why do you think you are going to need a new gasket so soon?

GG
  • MN_Chuck
    MN_Chuck Posts: 26
    Options
    Do a search on ebay, I picked up a couple 2 weeks ago at about 1/2 the price, LGE 9.955 each with free shipping.
  • ACT 1
    Options
    The BGE site shows only the phone number 770-934-5300. I guess was hoping to order online. Thanks for your suggestion on the Nomex material.
    RE, your question about the age of my egg... t was given to me by an old friend who picked it up while over in Vietnam. I was told that on his trip back home he strapped it to the cargo seat next to him. So in reality my egg is not an official BGE. However, other than the firebox being constructed as part of the base unit, and the outside color being orange and green w/Chinese characters stamped on the lid, it is identical to the Lg BGE. When I received it, the gasket was completely gone. I started my gasket search this past June, but had to settle with an extra large gasket (the only one available in my area). Since its installation, I’ve almost lost it due to high-heat escaping and melting the adhesive. (wont try burping it again at such a temperature. Flames came leaping out_ very, very scary to say the least!) I let the egg cool over night w/foil separating the lid from the base, and it seems the adhesive re affixed itself_ this time. My philosophy, if I have a spare gasket on hand, I’ll probably never need to use it. Hopefully!
    Many thanks for your Nomex suggestion!!
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    can you post a picture of this "almost" BGE?
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    There is a email address, but a quick phone call will be quicker.

The adhesive seems go 'liquid/melt' then will solidify when cooling. Using heat to remove the gasket & adhesive is a very easy method. Or, use Oops! it works very well with this paticular adhesive.

GG
  • grEGGor
    grEGGor Posts: 109
    Options
    Anyone know what the price is for the Nomex gasket? I have a felt replacement, but haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.

Is it worth forgetting about my felt replacement and ordering the Nomex one?

Thanks
  • ACT 1
    Options
    As requested_pictures of my "almost" BGE.
    Note, as indicated earlier, this egg seems to be the exact dimensions of the official large BGE. The original band used scissor hinges (as currently used on the small green egg). For safety reasons, I have replaced it with the BGE spring assisted band.
    I have included images of the writing found on the lid. If anyone can give me more information on this egg, I’d be most appreciative!!

BOE001.jpg
    BOE004.jpg
    BOE002a.jpg
    http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e77/ACT1_08/BOE003.jpg[/IMG]
    BOE005.jpg