Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying again for pulle pork.

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a "Fresh Pork Shoulder Blade Boston Roast" from the grocery store. Dont' know if this is a Boston Butt or what. It does have the bone in. I have tried to do this before but did not get good results. I used an inderect set up with a plate setter and drip pan at 250. The two complaints are that it was very greasy and had no taste. Therefore, we tossed it. How do you get rid of the greasy taste and get more of the rub taste? Do I need to cook longer? I can't remeber at what temp. I pulled the lst "roast". [p]Thanks.[p]Mark

Comments

• Pug
    Pug Posts: 57
    Omaha Mark,
    Put your rub on the night before and slather it in frenches mustard. Wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the frig. overnight. Cook like you did last time at around 250. Even 225-230 will be fine. You get a lot of your flavor from the smoke that penetrates the meat during the first couple of hours of cooking. You may want to get you some hickory chips and soak them in water for a while. Throw them on the fire before putting the butt on the egg. Cook you butt until the internal temp of the butt is about 200 degrees. Check out some of the recipes on the BGE website or other BBQ books or websites for good rub recipes if you need to. Good luck! Boston Butt will soon be your favorite thing to cook.[p]Steve

• Omaha Mark,
    Yes, cook it longer. 1-1/2 hours per pound up to 2 hours per pound as a guideline - test for done-ness buy inserting the probe on your Polder ( or any thin rod type thingee ) and when it goes in & out like butter, she be done.
    Also, be sure to throw out any fat you find when you pull it. And, to increase the rub taste, you can re-apply some rub towards the end of your cook.
    I lucked out - when I did my first pulled port a couple weeks ago it came out great. Don't get discouraged - keep at it!
    Cheers & beers to ya
    Doc Pigg

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Omaha Mark,[p]I agree with Puj
    You're looking at a long cook - maybe 20 hours at 250º until you reach an internal temp of 200º
    I love Boston Butt but my family prefers the "picnic shoulder" for Pulled Pork they claim it has better flavor and is "less greasy"... I don't care which one I do just gimme that PP!
    Don't give up Butt and shoulder are nearly bullet proof once you get the hang of it.

• Omaha Mark,
    You gonna be at the River City Round Up this weekend?[p]Drop me an email.[p]Matt.

• South O,[p]I was wondering if South O was Omaha South O. Don't think we are going to make the Round Up this year. Dindn't plan ahead. Going to the Cheifs on Sunday so have to lay low on Saturday.

• Omaha Mark,
    Chiefs game this week? Not doing anything special, but maybe we can have beers and meet.[p]CWM

• Omaha Mark,[p]I am far from an expert, but I am a man on a diet! Everything you say indicates two things, that you didn't flavor the meat much ahead of time and you didn't finish the cook. You can use rubs, dry or moist, mop and lots of fancy things, but the easiest thing for a good first cook is to completely cover the meat with yellow mustard and let stand 30 minutes before putting it on the grill. There are two ways to finish the cook, one is right the other easy (I opt for the latter)! You can cook the meat at 225 - 250 until the internal temp reaches about 200. This method will require good fire management, patience and confidence, and about 20 hours. My easy method is to keep the meat on the fire at 250 with good smoke, hickory seems best, until the internal temp reaches about 150. Then remove from the grill, wrap in foil, and put in 350 oven until the internal temp is 210, about 2 hours. I put some apple cider in the foil, about 1/4 - 1/2 cup, when I put it in the oven. The cider seems to keep the meat moist and I think it washes the grease from the meat.[p]I have been assured by the better cooks that the long method yields great results, but I am dieting because of the easier method. Hope this helps. Once you master the easy way, then extend your cook and increase your flavor. I don't want it too good; I am having trouble losing weight as it is![p]Buckeye Bill

• Omaha Mark,[p]Thanks to all. I put extra rub on this time. We'll see. I also plan on cooking untill internal temp. of 200. I am trying another all night cook using the "Rings". I will let you know how it comes out.[p]Mark