Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Back Ribs (success)

Stanley
Stanley Posts: 623
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did my big old rack of beef back ribs tonight.

Removing the membrane was more of a chore than with pork ribs. I used a combination of a sharp knife, a table knife, paper towels and brute force. Trimmed as much of it (along with excess fat) as I could. Found that scraping with the sharp knife (after I had removed as much as I could otherwise) worked as a good end game.

Plate setter legs up with a drip pan. Added a liberal amount of cherry wood chips, fired her off and brought to 250° dome. Smeared the ribs with yellow mustard (for its stickiness) and coated both sides liberally with DP Cow Lick. Onto the grid for the first of 4 hours of the 4-1-1. Spritzed with apple juice at 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 hours. Oh yeah, at 1.5 I added a hand full of mesquite chips for a bit more smoke. After 4 hours I foiled them with a couple ounces of AJ in each packet - back on at 250° for a full hour. Unwrapped them and sauced about half with Hot Bone Suckin' Sauce (my wife has developed an intolerance to things spicy, so this was in deference to her). Back on the grid - sauced the sauced ones a couple more times and pulled the lot at 45 minutes (seemed done).

They were done. Best beef back ribs I've ever eaten. Used to go to a BBQ joint in Calistoga CA for all-you-can-eat ribs. Sometimes I would order some beef along with the porkers - that was my second favorite beef ribs. But I just made my favorite! My wife even had one of the sauced ribs and enjoyed it - she wasn't sure which she liked better. Actually, I liked both varieties as well.

BeefRibs1.jpg

BeefRibs2.jpg

BeefRibs3.jpg

250.jpg

Done on the grill
BeefRibs4.jpg

The sauced ones
BeefRibsSauced.jpg

The unsauced
BeefRibsUnsauced.jpg

The aftermath (pretty much complete)
NotMuchLeft.jpg