Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner.... sponsered by Benelli

Joel Ferman
Joel Ferman Posts: 243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
P9230043.JPG
<p />Went after these critters and in 2 hours I had bagged 2 and my buddy 3. They are currently smoking away on the egg, I'll let you guys know how they turn out.
-Joel

Comments

• Here is what the finished product looked like.....
    P9230048.JPG[p]
    WAIT A MINUTE!!! What is that odd round shaped red object next to them??!?! Lets get a better look....
    P9230047.JPG[p]Is that meat? [p]P9230049.JPG[p]Hmmm.... lemme check.[p]P9230050.JPG[p]Hehehhe..... Well Tim M, you happy now? I ate some fruit.
    -Joel

• Joel Ferman,
    dude looks GREAT!

• Joel Ferman, Those are the best looking pigeons I have ever seen. :-)[p]Beers,[p]JDB

• JDB,
    I am proally just dense here, but they are actually Game Hen. If you meant it as a joke, sorry, I was chasin skirts till the wee hours of the morning, then had class shortly after I got home.
    -Joel

• Joel Ferman, I hope you understood your class lecture better than you understood my joke as I was kidding about the birds being pigeons. The birds do have a nice color to them and I wasn't kidding about that.[p]My joke was in reference to the size of the birds. I knew they too small to be chickens and they were too big to be any game bird where I live that is in season. Hence the pigeon remark. :-)[p]FWIW I hate pigeons. I repaired bridges for 15 years and I consider pigeons to be "rats with wings." I have cooked and consumed all sorts of wild game, but two things are definitely off my list - possums and pigeons![p]So just what exactly is a game hen?[p]Beers,[p]JDB[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Joel Ferman,
    Those DO look pretty. Did you get the farmers permission before you shot his hens??[p]Heee.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Joel Ferman,[p]I think I told you to eat a vegatable, but fruit is good too. And how do I know that's your hand?? [p]As a former sales mgr for Winchester (more than a gun, an American legend) for 14 years, I hope you were using good ammo in that Italian shot gun. [p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Joel Ferman,[p]You live in an area with a lot of Scottish folks??[p]Tim
  • Joel Ferman,[p]Oh to be in school again chasin skirts. What a life, a BGE, chasin skirts, and drinkin beer. Enjoy it while you can. [p]Mark

• Omaha Mark,
    With all due respect, having caught the skirt that I was chasing (actually, the skirt caught me, I think) I'm plenty happy to stay home, drink beer and cook on the egg with my skirt. :-) [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • JDB,
    Game hens are essentially small chickens. They are pretty rich in flavor, I prefer them over chicken.
    -Joel

• Nature Boy,
    My "buddy" who I was hunting (more like just killing) with's father own's the property. His father is the biggest rice farmer in the area, and someone was nice enough to release a few game hen on his property a few years back, so now he's got a ton of the little guys runnin' around. Thats where we come in :-)
    -Joel

• Tim M,
    I exclusively use Kent shotgun shells. For the gamehen I used 3 1/2" Kent Tungsten-Matrix impact shells I had left over from turkey season. They have an EXTREMLY tight pattern and make headshots quite easy.
    -Joel

[ul][li]Kent Shotgun Shells[/ul]
  • Game hens are really small chickens with an attitude! And they taste really good. [p]The last couple I had I cooked at 300ºF and they were excellent![p]Bill

• Tim M
    Joel Ferman,[p]Do they force you to use non-lead shot out there for everything? [p]The shot does not deform, like lead as it accelerates, and so the harder the shot the rounder it stays and the tighter your pattern. I worked on a team to develope alternative shot when I worked in the ammo factory. The best back then was depleated uranium, but it would have cost more for the shell than the shotgun. Head shots, at what?? Those little things? [p]Tim
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Joel Ferman, Man, our 'beach chickens' don`t look that good!
    [/b]
  • Mop
    Tim M, you said: I worked on a team to develope alternative shot when I worked in the ammo factory.[p]Sure you did Tim, moppin up the cheese off the floor doesn`t really mean you worked on any team......[p]*paging timmy moore, child puked in the cafe!*
    [/b]
  • Tim M,
    No, we can use lead for some purposes, and on this guys property there would be no one to get on our case, however I am accustomed to my loads and know exactly how they pattern. At about 25 yards my pattern is the size of a baseball, which is perfect for head shots on a game hen. I basically aim 2 inches in front of the hen, and a few pellets take the head off, leaving no shot in the body. Oh yeah, what up with Winchester contracting their gun-production out? Is U.S. repeating arms as good as Winchester? I ended up going with a Marlin instead of a Winchester when I heard about that.
    -Joel

• Mop
    Joel Ferman, man, thats some load, ever think about doing movies?[p]Mop
    [/b]
  • Tim M
    Joel Ferman,[p]Winchester (Olin Corp) sold the gun division off to US Repeating Arms in 1981. I stayed with Olin and we only sold some over/unders after that. We still made the ammo in Alton, Ill and I was very happy to see the guns go away. I don't know anything abot the US Repeating Arms Co today. There was always some talk about buying the Benelli auto shotgun patent (the one where the bbl recoils) and having some commemoratives made over seas. [p]The lawyers and insurance companies are putting the gun companies out of business.
  • Tim M
    Mop,[p]You just drinking early today or what?[p]Tim
  • Yo Timmy! Don't you mean the idiots that are pulling the triggers are putting the gun companies out of business?

• Tim M
    Scottie,[p]I won't argue that too much with you -- but the people you work for get all the money and argue some silly points. It's a gun - it kills by design. You don't need a warning label on the barrel. That's silly.[p]My views on gun control would probably fool you, I have seen too much.[p]Tim
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Tim:[p]Regarding gun companies being run out of business, money hungry Mayor's like Atlanta's Bill Campbell (fortunately now out of office) tried to do his part, but was unsuccessful. One of the candidates for Georgia's new 42nd four-member HR district (Mr. N.M.) was an attorney working for the city for this misguided cause. He thinks nothing about limiting citizen rights . . . He will get elected.
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    wpe31.jpg
    <p />Joel Ferman,[p]I shot these two beauties yesterday with my Binford 200. Used those plastic pucks they shoot at rioters and POOF their little heads were gone. Just ignore the header, that was my roomate just goofing around.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    drbbq,
    Too funny!
    Is your Binford the Over/Under or the Double Barrell?

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    drbbq,
    Is that a bed of Madagascar saffron-scented organic Basmati and Nicarauguan wild rice, steamed in 1962 vintage Pinot Noir and Sierra Nevada red-banded gamebird stock? Made some on the Egg last night; 250 indirect over Kenyan teak, 1 hour. Dee-lish!
    Qfan
    Any of those birds left over for 'sammidges'?
    ;-)

• drbbq,
    Bet you ate the plate too big guy.
    -Joel

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    even better.
    jeeze..