Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's cook: something simple!

Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Man...the wife asked me to bring some of that rotisserie chicken home for dinner, so I stopped by the meat counter and grabbed a nice organic tenderloin roast, along with this:

IMG_1655.jpg
IMG_1656.jpg
IMG_1658.jpg

Shakin' the Tree on three of them for everyone else, and some Jamaican Firewalk on mine. Wow! That was hot! Sweet Baby Ray's for the last part of the cook. Dome temp between 375-400° with a nice chunk of pecan in there for some smoke. Outstanding, yet simple dinner :)

Here is my plate:
IMG_1660.jpg

What a great way to start the weekend!

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Lookin good Mike ;) I think that I cook more chicken than KFC sometimes :lol:;) Wifey really likes chicken :)
  • Beanie-Bean
    Thank you, Doug. I forgot to bring home the rotisserie chicken my wife asked for :) I wanted to cook something instead, and I'm really glad I did. She works night shifts at the hospital, so she was able to sit down with me to eat a little bit before she took off for work. The rest of her dinner was packed up for her to eat later on in the shift.

Yeah, I need to start cooking more chicken--I've been doing lots of beef and pork lately.

Cheers!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Looks GREAT Mike...just bought my first bottle of SBR's sauce this week..looking forward to trying it..now if I can just try it str8 up and not add anything to it!!. :ohmy:
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Mike I'm not trying to run your business but I suggest you find a good divorce lawyer as soon as possable!!! Any wife who would request "rotisserie chicken" from the store after eating your Egged bird has some serious issues!!!!! :laugh: Looks good. Will think about you tomorrow as my dad has a company shrimp boil and beer bust that he retired from. They fly fresh BIG shrimp in from New Orleans and boil'em up along with all the cold beer you can down. Got to be at work again Sunday morning at 4:00am! :blink:
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    jl is right about the rotisserie chicken... my ex feeds that stuff to my sons.... :evil:
    seriously...very nice to send her off to work with a beautiful egged meal ...

JL there is only so long you can burn the candle at both ends. i went from bullet proof to $h!T about 20 seconds after i blew out my 50th birthday candles. like my warranty expired. get some sleep.
    bill
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Nice looking legs and thighs you got there my man. That Dizzy Pig is great on chicken.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Nice combo of wood, hot and sweet seasonings. I love the kick of Venom or Firewalk after biting into a sweet sauce. What do they say on that new KFC commercial, WOW, didn't see that coming.

Mike
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Food looks great. How often do you use that egg for pizza? Looks like it's very well seasoned.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Try their Hot or Honey Chipotle, too--they're nice!
  • Beanie-Bean
    Hehe...I think that the suggestion for something other than some egged food is to save time. I burn through more charcoal than I ever have in my life, and I'm always out there cleaning out the cookers, prepping the food, lighting the eggs...she had to go to work this evening, so luckily I left early enough to grab some stuff at the store before I went home. There was enough time to cook the chicken, too. I've seen a ton of spatchcock chicken this past week or so, and I've been wanting to cook some out there.

The really nice thing about cooking outside is that the kitchen doesn't really get that hot any more. However, I'm getting tired of this heat we've been having (kinda feeling like Andy the cat...) and am looking forward to the fall and winter when I can really concentrate more on cooking stuff.

Like bill said, gotta get yer beauty rest, man!
  • Beanie-Bean
    You gotta try hiding the hot spices/seasoning/rub underneath the sauce--it makes for a nice surprise when you bite in!
  • Beanie-Bean
    Yessir, I agree completely with the hot seasoning underneath the mild/sweet sauce. The pecan added a nice flavor. Had to use that, since my stash of hickory is almost gone. Gotta get some more!
  • crawdad
    crawdad Posts: 115
    That's the way to bring home the chicken. Great looking yardbird!
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    mike, i do not have a gasser but i went to cabella's and got a gas burner boils 4 gallons of water in 5 minutes or something nutz like that.. i do pasta outside all year and brocolli too, anything that boils over or smells gets done outside.. $99 in summer i never use the stove .
    beauty rest :laugh: :laugh: that was great
  • Beanie-Bean
    I usually wipe down the dome after I've done a clean burn. It hasn't been that shiny lately, only after I did that chicken on the top rack of the adjustable rig. I took out the foil drip pan and the pizza stone from the spider and let her cook a bit at 550-600° to burn the sauce off the grate and grease off the dome.

Really surprised that the gasket (felt) has held up this long, especially with as many steaks and high-temp cooks as I do. It still doesn't leak smoke, either, during the low-and-slow cooks.

How many pizzas? Less than a handful. I really haven't been doing much brick oven/baking in there as I'd like to. Perhaps when I get LBGE #2 setup I'll do some of that to break it in. One thing I did want to try is some of CWM's pig-in-a-blanket recipes from the other day. Yeah, maybe a pizza, too--got to find some pre-made crusts. I did some from scratch, and it was too salty to be good. Will keep on working on that, but it's been 100° outside lately!
  • Beanie-Bean
    bill,

Is it a propane burnner, or a natural gas burner? There is a Cabela's just on the other side of Austin from where I live--nice stuff if you like to hunt or fish. Thanks for the tip.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Merci beaucoup! You gotta try some Benoit's cajun seasoning...we get it from Kevin Guidry's place on Moss St. just by Pont Des Mouton. It's salt-free, too, so you can adjust the salt to your liking. I've been doing some of the Dizzy Pig stuff lately, though, because I ran out a while back and just got another shipment in a few weeks back.

Time for a "lemonade" now ;)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Mike can you get the Sweet Baby Ray's at HEB?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Beanie-Bean
    Yes, that's where I get it. I have their regular sauce, the hot sauce, and a honey chipotle sauce. They're all good, too!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    i use the Austins Own, will try yours next.
    thanks
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Great looking cook Mike, I personally love chicken on the Egg and the wife also. When you get old like me you have to start watching your beef consumpation, ot the wife is not a happy camper.