Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brishket Burnt Ends

Egglicious
Egglicious Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey gang. I cooked a brisket last weekend and put the point back on after removing the flat. It cooked for another four hours but due to the fat cap I did not get mauch for burnt ends. Can you trim off all the fat and then put it back in? Also how long due you normally have to leave it in?

Thanks all,

js

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    cd4733e3.jpg

After you separate, you could trim some of the outer fat, you will be trimming it anyway when you cube the point later on.

Usually a couple or three hours will be enough to do the trick. I usually cook the point down while the flat is resting in the cooler. Sometimes I serve them "dry" like the ones above, or I make them "wet".

ccb419b3.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I always trim the fat cap off/ put in foil and back on. Some restaurants really burn them. Mine come out moist and tender.
    burntends1.jpg

Mike
  • Egglicious
    Thanks for the info, your pics look good enough to eat. LOL
    I will be up tonight at the county fair cooking for a Beef Cook Off at 10:30 in the morning. Going to try a brisket, hope to due us eggers proud.

Later,

js
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Best of luck to you.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I typically cube the point as soon as I separate it, add a little sauce and some finely chopped parts from the tip of the flat, then cook it down for 2-4 hours in a cast iron dutch oven.

IMO the burnt ends are the reason to do a brisket.

On.jpg

Done.jpg
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have you or how do you cook for just the burnt ends?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    You can buy a whole packer brisket, trim the point off and cook. Grind the flat up for burger, dang good burgers. Or try to find a meat cutter that will sell a point only, then cook like a brisket until the foil period.

Mike
  • Egglicious
    Great looking ends. Makes me wish I had some right now!!! Guess I will have to wait until around 10:00 a.m.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I have not done it but have thought it out.

Can simply separate the point from the flat, cook the point, then cube it and follow the burnt ends method from there. I have never seen a point for sale by itself, but would buy it if I could.

The flat can be ground for ground beef, I hear it makes for great burgers or meatloaf.
  • Egglicious
    Thanks thirdeye, take care.

js
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    will have to ask for the point only, thanks
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.