Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi Temperature Problem

Options
dpicker688
dpicker688 Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchase a Large big green egg a few weeks ago. The first time I used the temp got well above 600 degrees. The last few time i couldnt get the temp above 500. Can anyone help solve my issue. I live in Texas and have a small back yard so i thought airflow might be the issue..

THanks

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    If you haven't changed anything such as moving the firebox so the opening isn't lined up with the draft door, the most likely culprit is charcoal that is not real dry, usually as a result of being outside in the high humidity either in the bag or in the egg.....
  • dpicker688
    Options
    makes sense. the charcoal has been sitting outside and its rather humid here in Dallas
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    Just a thought...

Check the holes in the firebox and fire grate to make sure they are not blocked.

TC
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Yes a small backyard will restrict the air flow to almost nothing. You need to move the house to the right about five feet for better air flow. :whistle:

With the fun out of the way, ;) make sure your firebox hole is aligned with the bottom door. After EVERY cook, stir the ashes so all the ash falls through and make sure all grate holes and firebox holes are not blocked. Cook on!
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I have a medium egg. Before every cook I pull out the remaining lump and fire ring and burn chamber then use a couple of putty knives to remove all of the ashes. Re-assemble, put new lump on bottom and used on top of that. Don't have any temp problems.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    you do that before EVERY use? Trust me, you have to be the only egger who does that! There's really no need - I do that complete knock down only twice a year.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    LOL, haven't done it in a year in a half.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    You yard has nothing to do with it, unless you want an excuse to move and get bigger property.

I don't have a humidity problem like you have there. Get some kind of sealed container for your new lump. Kingsford has a nice charcoal storage bin that works perferct for me.

You can see a picture of it here http://www.stacksandstacks.com/track/rd.html?id=176&product_page=11462_kingsford-kaddy-charcoal-dispenser&sku=11462&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase

I picked mine up from Home Depot for $12.

If it isn't humidity check you lump. Was some from last cook, if so, did you get the ash out of it and is what is in you egg small pieces.

I would think you have smaller pieces of lump in your firebox which restricts air flow. Using a wiggle stick through the lower vent usually will correct the problem.

Make sure your firebox opening is alligned with the lower vent (when the egg is cool).

GG
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I do the same thing for the SBGE. The dealers here didn't have the ash tools for the small egg, so I tried using the one I have for the LBGE--too big! It's just as easy to take the whole thing apart and brush out the ash with some newspaper. No real temp problems there.

I only take apart the LBGE when changing out the fire ring to the 2" for the big low-and-slow cooks.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that...the other guys have posted some good advice--make sure the openings line up below, and use some dry lump. I just keep mine in the garage, where it's relatively dry.

What part of Dallas? Got some friends and relatives up in that area, and I'm usually there a couple times a year.

Congrats on the egg, and welcome to the EggNation!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Mike,
    Here's the cleaner-outer I made for my small just using some strap steel and a 1.75" piece of brass. Bent at 90° and pop-riveted together. Sure a lot easier and cleaner than a full knockdown every time.
    IMG_0962.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.