Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome!!!!

MountainEGGer
MountainEGGer Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm finally ready to get my brand new Egg going for its maiden voyage. I have the lump separated, my starter nest, grill lighter, and a pint of Paulaner Octoberfest fresh out of the mini keg.

I open up the green dome and stare inside at the marvel that we know as the BGE. I briefly note that there is no grate towards the bottom of the firebox, but what do I know, I am just a Private in the BGE Army.

I place the lump in, larger pieces on the bottom, medium in the middle, and small on top. Get that starter nest right in the center, light it up and wait in anticipation to place my chickens on this marvel of the modern world. To my dismay the temp is not raising above 200. No worries, my fiance has a custom barbeque stoker developed by Revlon. Grab her hairdryer and an extension cord and pop that SOB in the vent...NOW I'm almost ready!!! The temp. is rising and I can just about smell the sweet smoke doing its magic to that brave yardbird who sacraficed his life so that I can cook dinner for my brother's family and my closes friends.

Back inside and, just out of curiosity, I open up the instruction manual to take a peek at the equipment list and there it is...the firebox grate!!! I still have the box waiting in my hallway to be trashed and what do I find inside but the firebox grate.

Company is coming at 1930 hours, time to abandon the mission and head to Boston Market, right? You guessed it, this forward thinking BGE Army private did what all good military men do...IMPROVISE, ADAPT, OVERCOME!!!

I grabbed an old stock pot (a relic from my college days) that had been replaced by its Calphalon counterpart on Monday and my grill tongs and went to work. I removed all of the lump from the Egg, transferred it into the stock pot, posted the grate in its proper position, replaced the lump, and salvaged my cook!!!

Thank goodness I can laugh at myself!!! I think the Egg is ready for my offering now, so I bid you farewell.

Comments