Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pecan Wood?

Options
Hoss
Hoss Posts: 14,600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last nite's storm blew the neighbor lady's Big pecan tree down.We're gonna clean it up for her.Whay is the best meat to use pecan on?Looks like I may have a lifetime supply! :unsure:

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Any meat. Pecan is awesome.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    greetings,
    Poultry of any kind and also fish is good with pecan wood. it gives that beautiful color also.

iDSC_6918.jpg

DSC_5631.jpg

that stuff is like gold so hold on to it or supplement
    your eggcessories by trading it and bartering.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    Pecan is great with just about anything. I still have some left from when I lived in Arizona. You should have seen the mover's face when asked what was making those boxes so heavy! I'm going to miss it when I run out.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    you do know don't you that it is going to have to dry at least for a year minimum before using if that tree had been alive. BTW I love pecan and buy it by the bags you lucky dude!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    Pecan is one of my favorites for smoking just about anything. We use it almost exclusivly if cooking on a big offset (maybe mixed with a little hickory sometimes) and have had great luck with it.

Let it dry and enjoy it.

TC
  • As others have said, pecan is possibly the best all round smoking wood.

You just have to change the quantity used - from not much for salmon, a normal amount for pork and chicken and throw in some extra wood for beef.

Make sure you allow at lest six months for the wood to season - but 12 months is better.