Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs for Saturday night! (if I can wait that long!)

Dr. Chicken
Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been up since 00:30 this morning! Had to take a business partner down to catch the train! Can you believe catchin' a train at 3am in da mornin'? Anyways, we was lookin' at the postin's last night and I took him to Tim's site and saw them awsome ribs! Been thinkin' 'bout them ever since! (man I got the hungeries!!!!) He's headed back to da Windy City and then Milwaukee. We've got another convert headed into da mist of us! By noon tomorrow, another Egg will find a home! Hope the dealer in West Bend, WI has got one in stock! Dem cheeseheads do know how to eat! Not jest cheese either! After all dis thinkin',(really works up an apptite) I've got to have some ribs this weekend! Haven't decided whose or which recipe I'm gona use, but I'm parkin' my old tried & true and trying somethin' different. I know it will be AAAWWWWSOOOME! Juicy, mouth watering, fall off da bones ribs! WOW! Anticipation supreme! This place could become addictive![p]Dr. Chicken

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Dr. Chicken,
    It sort-of depends on how you like your ribs. If you like them all covered with sauce remember that it will burn unless you cook them indirectly or unless you add sauce late in the cook. Some like ribs dry (with no sauce) and direct over the coals at 225-250 with no drip pan sure works well. I like baby backs indirect with firebricks or a plate setter because you can then raise the temps with little chance of burning. They come out a little juicier too. Use the mustard coat (real thin) and let them sit over night in it. It hold moisture in and gives a nice crust with no mustard taste at all. Good luck - go easy on smoke until you taste them. A little goes a really long way.[p]Tim

• Tim M,
    My tried & true method is a marinade overnight (or longer) and then slow cooked over smoke like mesquite or hickory. I leave the sauce off for the individual to use as he likes. A good way to burn 'em with sauce on during the cook. I love ribs, but until I found & adapted this recipe, I steered clear of them. My F-I-L says my ribs are the best he's ever had, but, really I married his 'first born' so he's obligated to say somethin' like that! I'll go to your web site & look at that recipe again. It sure got the attention of my buddy! I've not invested in the fire bricks yet, so I'm limited in that respect. I've been using the indirect method for other things, so if it would not change things drastically, I could still follow that. I'm inclined to use a rub, as long as that won't burn in. What do you think?[p]Dr. Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Asianribs
    <p />Dr. Chicken,
    OOooh boy! Addictive is correct. Ribs especially.
    I have a full slab going on tonight. Started marinating last night. This time some Asian style spare ribs (like the ones I posted a picture of the other day).[p]I can taste em now! Gonna do indirect at 375 for 3 hours, then finish them up direct while brushing the sauce on. Maybe some beer in the drip pan, and some hickory smoke.[p]Yeeee Ha!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Dr. Chicken,
    Most rubs have some sugar in them that will burn but its a tiny percentage so its never been a problem for me. It forms a crust which is what it is designed to do and I love it. The mustard has vinegar which helps break down the meat and leaves a nice crust as well. Lo & Slo is a great way so stick with it. The firebricks or plate setter just allow you to raise the temps, lower the cook time, and avoid burning. Try it sometime to see if you like them that way. On my site you will see many eggsperiments on ribs. I did them this way, and that way. I have my favorites but others like them differently so I present them all. Good luck and have fun!![p]Tim

[ul][li]Cook'n with Tim[/ul]
  • Tim M,
    that's what got me hankerin' for 'em in the first place! What did it cost for the ceramic fire bricks, and where do you find them?[p]Dr. Chicken

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Dr. Chicken, the bricks are less than $1 each at most brick yards - you'll want to get 4 (medium BGE) or 5 (large BGE) - also check out the link below - use the search link and type in ribs -- pictures and recipes.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ Site[/ul]
  • Gfw,
    Thanks! You've done a fantastic job on your site! So has Tim M. I have to hand it to you, Tim, Spin, Elder Ward, Char Woody and a whole bunch more. I can't even remember all of them! Youse guys and gals are what makes dis ting work![p]Dr. Chicken

• Tim M
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Firebricks are what got my website started. I kept hearing C~W talk about them and when I finally found them I took a picture and posted it. Its been over a year since then.[p]The bricks are speacial kiln fired ceramic and are not easy to find. A fireplace distributor would be my first stop. They are used to line woodstoves and "zero clearance" fireplaces. As GFW said, they are cheep - mine cost $3 each. You'll need 5 or 6.[p]Tim
  • Tim M,
    Thanks! I guess a trip to town will be in the works! (looks like I have to take a shower before the month's up! Yuk!)(see what livin' out in the toolies does to ya?)[p]DC