Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

can anyone tell me about chicken and chops?

flajoker
flajoker Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Posted earlier about boneless chicken breast and porkchops. How to cook,how hot, direct or indirect and can I cook at same time.
Thanks for any help

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    flajoker,
    Yes, you can cook them side by side, and actually the timing should be about right too....depending on how thick your chops are. A hot fire (500 or so), and 5 or 6 minutes per side should do you right. Flip when one side is browned nicely, and cook about the same time on side two. If you can check internal, the chicken is perfect at 165, and the pork chops 145. [p]Enjoy!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • flajoker,
    It seems as though yer in a hurry, so i'll throw in my .02.[p]I cook chicken breasts similar to steaks. I don't see why you couldn't do that with pork chops as well, but hey, I've never tried it.
    If I were you i'd fire up the egg to about 700-750 degrees, slap the meat on direct for approx 2-3 min, then flip, then do a dwell for X amount of minutes until you reach your desired internal meat temp.
    -Joel

• Nature Boy,
    Beat me to it.... I'd do what NB suggest if I were you, he knows what he's doin :-)
    -Joel

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Joel,
    You are kind! Your suggestion would prolly work too. I am not a "dwelling" kinda guy though. My goal is usually to get good browning and crusting (without burning) about the same time the middle is done. To me, that is the perfect cook. Lots of ways to achieve a good meal.[p]Time to take the twins to soccer practice!
    Later
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy, How fun that must be... taking the twins to soccer practice. All the kids are grown and I miss those days.
    Lord I must me be getting old to be thinking like that.:)

• i would have to agree on internal for the chops, and about 160 on the cb (close enuf), but i like the smoke, so would suggest 225-250 for awhile. i wonder if these are rib chops or center cut loin? i like the fat rind on the rib chops charred, so higher temps, but a thick center cut will be going low and slow on my kooker...

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Joel Ferman,[p]I'll post the converse. I've never cooked chicken like a steak, but have cooked many a pork chop like a steak. In fact, super hot and fast sear/sear/dwell is my favorite way to do pork chops. One caveat is lately I've been just doing longer sear/sears and omitting dwells to prevent any chance of flashbacks...[p]Pork chops, seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh rosemary and cooked like a steak are one of my favorite things...[p]Later,
    Cornfed