Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What accessories to buy with BGE?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am buying a large BGE as a gift. What accessories should I include with the purchase (nest, daisy-wheel, spring-assisted band, etc)?

Comments

• Behemuth, well it's been a while since someone asked about this so I will try to recall all that I can from previous posts. [p]First start with where the egg will live. A nest or table (bought or made yourself) are a must IMO.[p]The daisy wheel is another must but I can't answer part about the spring assisted hinge since I don't have one.[p]Other than that you will find yourself wanting some or all of the following at one point or other. At least I did.[p]A tool to remove ash from the bottom.
    A container to put ash into.
    A plasitc or rubber storage bin for your lump charcoal, if you don't have a dry place to keep them.
    A cooking basket of some sort for veggies and fish.
    A bottle opener.
    A food vacuum sealer for when you do a 10 pound butt and eat only 2 lbs of it.
    An extra freezer for the inevitable meat sale that you encounter.
    A digital camera to post your progress/attempts/success.
    A chimney starter, or a MAPP torch, or several hundred starter cubes for lighting the fire.
    A sample of wood chips, chunks or pellets for smoke flavor of varying woods.
    A new spice rack to hold all of the new rubs and spices that you will soon accumulate.
    A cell phone to call home to have your loved ones check temps for you while you are away but still cooking.
    A pickup truck to haul the mamoth amounts of lump charcoal that you will be purchasing.[p]And I am certain that I left a few items out...[p]Matt.[p]

• Joel Ferman
    Options
    South O,
    You forgot a dome temp gauge and a polder..... well, and beer.
    -Joel

• Joel Ferman,
    Doh! Two of the most important items. For those who are old enough to imbibe anyways. ;-)[p]Matt.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    South O,
    You also forgot a plate setter, pizza stone, 2 pizza peels, vertical chicken and turkey roasters, extra cooking grates, firebricks, and drip pans. And don't forget the small egg to keep the large company![p]~nikki

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Behemuth,
    In all seriousness, the bare minimum would be to make sure you get a thermometer, daisy wheel, grill grippers, ash tool, and some type of starting device (cubes, electric, MAPP, or chimney). That would at least be enough for you to start cooking. The large eggs now come with the new spring assisted band, and the metal ash grate. [p]~nikki

• Gordy
    Gordy Posts: 49
    Options
    South O,
    Don't forget the Health Club membership or stationary bike or tread mill as you appetite increases immensely. Even though we try to eat more fish and chicken - the ribs, prime rib, wings, etc. are so good you just keep on cooking and eating, and eating and eating..........

• StumpBaby
    Options
    Gordy,[p]
    CheezeWhiz...definitely need a big bucket'o CheezeWhiz to go with that egg....

• South O, thanks for all the useful accessories tips. I've already bought a remote thermometer so they can watch football, drink beer, and check the Egg from the Lazy-boy.