Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Auto Locking Bands

Bubblehead
Bubblehead Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife says that fathers day is coming early this year and I can get the Egg after drooling for years. She asked me what the auto locking bands do and to be honest I wasn't sure, I told her I thought that they kept it open but every one I've seen did that. So I thought I'd ask (tried the archives without success) so I'd know which way to go.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Bubblehead, the older bands had the dual knee joint latching supports on each side of the dome and lower unit. These work o.k. as long as you lock both in place and not let the dome set on a twist supported by one knee support.[p]The new locking bands are a spring loaded latching mechanism that locks the dome in the up position, and when the dome is raised a audible click is heard. You must be sure and remember to slightly raise the dome, and reach back and unlatch the locking device. If anyone unwittingly tries to lower the dome, you will damage the bands for the most part unrepairably. Once your familiar with it, and the user's are aquainted with it, its the best choice.[p]Over the next year or two, a new style band could be in the works.
    C~W

• Char-Woody, that's right. Non-cultists should be kept away from the Egg, except during chaperoned tours guided by you. I keep a large pecan log lying nearby to break the hands of any curious trespasser. If you want to pet my egg, and you ain't an egger,, ask me and I will take you for a spin. The tendency is for unknowing individuals to force the lid down after taking a peek inside. AGGHHha!

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    King-O-Coals,[p]I hate that, too. Respect the EGG!!! The BGE doesn't go around pulling parts of you, does it??? Huh??? Huh???[p]I have a test for school and 3 interviews at work tomorrow. Can anyone tell I'm overly stressed?[p]Cornfed
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Bubblehead,[p]If you want to see the auto locking band in action - click the link below. I would post it but its a large slow loading file that shows 7 sec of opening the dome. With the regular bands you need to lock both side manually. Easy enough but not as easy as the new bands.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]
    Tim M and the Autolocking band
    [/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Char-Woody,[p]Ahh, perhaps a trigger near the handle to release the dome latch. No more forcing the dome out of a band. Maybe a spring load to hold the dome in a "negative" load on the latch. I have a near heart attack whenever the dome moves from the negative loading to a positive loading on the latch. For that split second it seems the dome is in a free fall until the latch holds it firm. Thought I was going to need the portable defibulator a couple times after those.[p]Tim