Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad Cook Confession

Options
WADoug
WADoug Posts: 191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm pretty new here, but I know from reading this excellent forum, that most of you have good results from less than optimal cooking. Well, I'm here to tell you, it can be done...cooking a bad meal...on the Egg. Cooked a turkey breast, about 5-6 lbs. Indirect, placesetter feet up at about 350. I put a hunk of hickory in the lump. I suspect that may have been the problem. Way too much smoke. Skin a bit like leather or neoprene, not good. But, in converse, the night before I got the best planked salmon yet from the Egg. Still on the upside of the learning curve. I'll keep at it till I get it right, and keep a close eye on this forum.

Comments

• TBQue
    TBQue Posts: 103
    Options
    Did you soak your chunks first? You might want to play with your dampers a little bit so the fire is isn't do starved for air.
  • Klag
    Klag Posts: 208
    Options
    Perhaps you just got a bad cut of meat.

I've had my Egg forever but only used it for high temp direct cooks like steak and chops. Just this month I found this forum, learned about a plate setter, bought one - and now I use it daily with great results!

Just tonight I did my first slow cook, indirect chicken breast and turkey leg. I have a medium egg, medium plate setter. Cooked for 2 hours 10 minutes at 275 degrees dome temp. Large breasts and a small leg made them all reach 185 (I'm picky) internal temp at the same time.

Nothing fancy, cheap brine (1/2 gallon water, 1/4 cup salt, 1/3 cup sugar, tablespoon peppercorns) for 1 hour then rub with olive oil, seasoned with season salt and black pepper and right on the Egg.

Moist and very juicy inside and a crispy yummy skin. All indirect, skin up, never turned.

ki4enfa096.jpg
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    I wouldn't feel bad about your cook. My worst one came from poultry as well. You learn pretty quick how much smoke certain foods can take. Your next cook will be better I'm sure. :cheer:

When you say skin do you mean the fatty skin or the outside of the turkey meat? I'd keep the skin on if it wasn't to keep it nice and lusciously moist.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    we all have bad ccooks.. ..just remember my favorite saying...

"if it were all great ... it would all be average"

:woohoo:
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    mad max is spot on. I have had the same problem with adding wood to several cooks and just don't use wood now as the wife and I are very happy with the amount of smoke flavor we get just from the lump.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Did it also have a basketball like rubber quality? Been there :ermm:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania