Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two quick questions

Options
Hangfire77
Hangfire77 Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys I have two quick questions if I may.
I am a new egger (only been doing it a year) and still learning but get a lot of compliments on the food so I am encouraged to keep at it and appreciate the help I have had on the forum so here it goes.

I am smoking a pork butt right now it weighs 7.5# I have an internal temp of 125 I put it on at 9pm Sunday night. I fell asleep at 1 am and the dome had been holding 220 for 3 hours no prob. I woke up early (for me) at 7am and checked the temp and it had fallen to 145 I readjusted and now have it back at 220-230. Here are my questions.
1) Did I ruin the meat? What I mean is because the temp fell below the 220 mark to 145 for I don’t know how long how bad is that? In a worst case scenario I would guess 6 hours. Do you guys think the meat bad now?

2) Is there some way to keep this from happening again (besides staying up all night) I will do some searching but thought I would throw it out here just in case.

Thanks a million for any advice.
James

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    If your dome temp didn't go below 145, you should be fine, I would recommend you run 250 for dome temp in the future, 220 is too low. -RP
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I have a Digi QII to keep my temperature overnight now, but before I did, I purposely set my dome temp to 275 or 285 before I went to sleep anticipating the drop overnight because of spent lump(ash) staring to clog the grate. Those temps are not too high for cooking a butt in the early (pre-plateau) stage and give you some breathing room for temperature drop. I don't understand what the infatuation is with trying to maintain ultra low dome temps. When I'm awake during a butt cook, I keep my dome between 250 and 275 with perfect results. :) Mark