Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's for dinner tonight???

Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just put the lump in the BGE. We're doing a small rib eye roast for dinner. At about 5pm we'll start the coal and put it on at 350 until it's done. Done would be about 135-137 internal. [p]The roast, a salad, some bread and a bottle of wine...[p]Best wishes to all for a great evening![p]Life is Good :~}

Comments

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Gfw,
    I'm going to try smoked chicken breasts and thighs again. After our first spatchcocked chicken, my wife and I decided that was the only way to have chicken on the egg, but we have a goodly number of breasts and thighs in the freezer that we need to ues up. I haven't had a lot of luck smoking these without drying them out, but this time I am marinating them in Italian dressing, so maybe that will help keep them moist. Either way, they will be tastey with a little pecan wood for smoke. Might also do a pot of baked beans, or maybe just some wild rice. Its cool and rainy here this pm, so I might substitute some Jack Daniels for my regular beer while "watching" the eggs and enjoying an evening home with my wife.

• Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Gfw, Salid tonight. (yuck). But for Sunday unless I'm rained out, I'm doing two racks of beef ribs. This will be the maiden voyage for beef ribs on my BGE. While I'm doing the ribs, Fang, (the lovely and young Ms. Zeke)will be doing a lasagna for the Sopranos Party. I never thought I'd be cooking something special to celebrate a bunch of thugs return to the tube.

• P9120075.JPG
    <p />Gfw,
    Well, this was my b-day dinner (2 nights ago) and it was sooooo tasty, I think I might have to do it again. Filet minon, garlic shrimp and Jack Daniels lobster..... can't beat that.
    -Joel

• Steve-O
    Joel Ferman,
    HOLY COW (or fish)!! Did you eat all that?! It looks fabulous!

• Joel Ferman,
    How'd you do the lobster? Looks excellent. You do need some vegetables on that plate!

• Steve-O
    Steve-O,
    Decided on the beans - or I should say, my wife decided. So I have a pot of Marvelous Marv's beans on the small, smoking along with a little hickory at 350*, and will put the chicken on my large in another 15-20 minutes. I LOVE my eggs!!

• BarbieQ,
    I cut the lobster tails (shell) lengthwise their full length. (I also cut about 1/2 way through the meat of the lobster as well.) I then melted approx 5tbsp. of butter, squeezed the juice of 1 and 1/2 lemons into a bowl, added some salt,pepper, smashed roasted garlic (I peel off skin on the garlic clove, cut about 1/2 inch off the top, cut the roots so it will sit flat, put in a pie pan and drizzle oilve oil (1tbsp of oilve oil per clove) and cook for 1 hr @ 350 in the oven) I then let basted the tails in this sauce and filled the cut crevice with the sauce, then let it sit in the fridge for approx 1hr.
    I cooked the lobster tails cut side down (direct) at about 265 degrees for around 12-13 minutes. After they came off I basted them and filled the crevice with my Jack Daniels glaze I made earlier that day. (by the way, I cooked all of this for one of my roomates as well, so I was actually cooking 2 filet minions, 4 lobster tails and 12 shrimp)
    I must say, it was the best lobster I have ever had.
    -Joel
    BTW, I don't know if you've noticed yet, I don't eat ANY fruits or vegtables save for the occasional potato. It's been YEARS since I have had fruits and veggies.

• Steve-O,
    Thanks Steve, and yes, I ate it all. I doubt it took me more than 10 minutes.
    -Joel

• Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    Had portergouse with Montreal seasoning - which we thoroughly enjoyed. I have a 9lb butt going. Should be ready by 8am - just in time to pull for sandwiches for the Falcon's home opener.[p]I am trying the top-light method for the fire. I am finding that the vent settings are different to maintain 220F than starting the fire from the bottom of the box. It's 7:22 (about 9 hours into the cook) and the fire is fine so far; even after a pretty heavy downpour this afternoon.[p]-Freak
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Gfw,
    Started with some Atomic Buff Turds and just pulled off some skirt steaks ala Carne Asada style....[p]I think I ate too many ABT's, but Carne Asada makes for great leftovers.....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Joel Ferman,[p]Do you not like fruits and vegetables at all? Ever? Even fruit baked in desserts or vegetables in say, Italian or Asian dishes?[p]Do you take vitamins? [p]I really am curious.[p]Lee[p]

• QSis,
    Nope, not at all. When I eat chinese food and such, I just eat all the meat, rice and noodles, no veggies. As far as desserts go, I actually don't eat those either... I am not a fan of sweet's. [p]I don't take vitamin's, the only enrichment I get is via a powerbar (or MetRX) in the morning and I drink a few bottles of juice a day. Never really had any health problems though, and I am not at all overweight.
    -Joel

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Joel Ferman,
    I'm with you on the fruits and veggies, only veggie is potatos and occasionally corn, only fruits is apples in pie, and bananas in pudding. No juice either.[p]~nikki

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Gfw,[p]Tonight's dinner was a two egg cook. On "Papa", I did baby back ribs sprinkled with Gilded Splinters rub, then rubbed in mustard and cooked 3/1/1 style. Added some JJ's sauce to them during the last 30-45 minutes and they turned out GREAT! On "Baby" did a spatchcock chicken sprinkled with Tony Chachare's Creole rub. Just awesome, juicy and tender... Served them up with some baked beans and dilly potatoe salad. Yum![p]Life is good....
    and I love my new small egg![p]QBabe
    :~)[p]Oh, and I have a 13.5 lb fresh ham marinating in some mojo for the "Lechon Asado" recipe posted a ways below...wow, 20 cloves of garlic!

• Joel Ferman,
    I hope you don't eat like that often, gout is painful. LOL
    Jim

• QSis,
    He is nineteen, it will change! LOL
    Jim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Joel Ferman,
    You are a true stud.
    Happy Birthday.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Joel Ferman,
    Don't stop now--how did you make the Jack Daniels glaze?? I think you have a very lucky roommate!

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    QSis,[p]Maybe he's an Atkins fan.[p]Carbs = bad?
    Cornfed[p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Joel Ferman,[p]Damn, you are my new official personal hero. When I was 19 and an undergrad, my typical dinners usually consisted of frozen elios pizza, cup o noodles, and cheap beer. Now, at 27, and a working schlep and part time doctoral candidate, my typical dinners consist of digiorno's frozen pizza, cup o noodles with tabasco, and decent beer.[p]I've definitely evolved a little, but not much,
    Cornfed

• P9140076.JPG
    <p />BarbieQ,
    My computer had a meltdown, so I don't have the JD glaze receipe on it anymore, however I was smart enough to type it and print it out. I am to lazy to re-type it right now :-) but this picture of the recipie should do it for ya. Gotta love those digital cameras. This glaze is pretty tasty btw.
    -Joel

• Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    22 hours later - the butt is ready. The kids (14 girls at my daughter's sleep over) ate all the bacon, so I had to eat some of the pulled pork.[p]Life is rough :-)[p]-Tom
  • Joel Ferman,
    Thanks for sharing the recipe. Sounds delicious!