Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Un Grande Tenderloin

Options
Firestarter21
Firestarter21 Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, tomorrow I am going up to my girlfriend's grandparents and plan to show them some tricks for the egg. They said that they have a 8lb pork tenderloin. I have never seen a tenderloin that big. They said it is 4-5 inches at its widest point. Should I expect 1-2 hours per pound, or should I cut it into several smaller tenderloins and have them cook the normal hour or so? Just not sure on this one, any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC04847a.jpg

Maybe they mis-spoke and it's a loin, not a tenderloin.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Third eye,
    I was just looking at your site before I posted this, it has become one of my new favorites. I didn't see any recipes/details for a pork loin. How does it differ from a tenderloin? The pic in your reply looks great, but what kind of cook time and temps am I shooting for???
    Thanks
  • thirdeye
    Options
    DSC03389a.jpg

A visual is most likely better...The loin runs pretty much the whole length of the pigs back. The tenderloin lays underneath the ribs along side the loin, they are about an inch or so in diameter and weigh 1.5 to 2 pounds. On the porkchop in the picture, the large muscle is the loin, and the small muscle is the tenderloin.

I cut them in half or in thirds and my favorite is the "rib end", the end that is more oval and shows a little more fat. I use roasting temps for loins, 300° to 350° and cook until the internal is 145°. I am horrible on quoting cook times, I stick them with a cable thermometer and adjust my pit temp as I go to hit my "sit down time". Here is an AAB picture of one cut in half

porkloinAAB.jpg

If you look at the Country Rib page on my site, there is a fishlessman method and picture of a bone-in loin that has been cooked with roasting temps.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Firestarter21
    Options
    Thanks Thirdeye, I really appreciate it. I will look into your site again for the additional info. We are planning to eat by 5:30, so I recon I will try to get the meat on by around 1:30. I will plan on going with fishlessman's technique. Hopefully I will be giving myself enough time for the cook.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Looking through some of my notes, I'm seeing times of an hour to 90 minutes for roasting a loin cut in to 2 or 3 pieces. Like I said, keep an eye on your cable thermometer more than the clock.

I found a second reference to 2 hours cook time when cooked at 275°. This one was end seared to get the color I wanted.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Firestarter21
    Options
    I will bear that in mind tomorrow. I am big on cooking by temp, not time, just wanted to try and be able to hit my target of 5:30 for dinner and let it rest a little if possible.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    They actually hold well wrapped in foil and coolered.

The last time/temp I could locate was 225°-240° for about 3 hours. I told you I was horrible at times...
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Thank you for the pictures. That answers some quesitons for me. I wasn't sure if there was a difference between loin and tenderloin.

GG
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    I second GG, I meant to mention the pictures were quite helpful. Thanks again for everything.