Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Damn it. Butt flying and I need advice

Options
Hitch
Hitch Posts: 402
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put 2 butts on at 5:00 and got it stable (I thought), and went to dinner/movie. Got home and grid was 270 and butt is 172. Just watched it climb there from 169. I do not think it is plateauing yet.

I put the ceramic top on and shut her down to get the temp down, but it will certainly take a while. Grid is currently at 261.

Dilemma is we are leaving at noon tomorrow for a 4 hour drive. I suppose these are going to be done in the middle of the night.

What should I do? I think these must be super lean as well. Probaby too hot for a couple of hours.

Expert advice needed

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I would have just closed which ever vent was the smallest a little bit more and left it alone for a while. -RP
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Try backing it off to around 225* dome. That should slow things down a bit and you can always raise the temp again later to finish it off.
  • Hitch
    Options
    Questions are:

1. What do I do when it finishes
    2. Is there a way to really slow it down without being dangerous?
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Sure there is...a 200* grate (225-230* dome) will keep it plenty warm to make sure it's safe.

When it hits 205* (the upper end of pull temp range), wrap it in 2-3 layers of aluminum foil, then a couple of thick towels and put it into a cooler to keep it warm. It will just get better and easier to pull. You can keep it in there for hours...I did 5 hours a few weeks ago and it turned out great.
  • Hitch
    Options
    I don't think I am doing a good enough job of explaining my dilemma.

I want them to end mid morning. Like 10 hours from now.

Can I take them off at 195, foil, and put in my oven at 170 for a few hours, then put them back on the egg to get to 205, then put them in the cooler? I would rather not refrigerate them before my noon drive of 4 hours.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I understand the dilemma...you need to slow these guys down. You can keep them in the Egg to do that or you can put them in an oven to do the same thing. I wouldn't let them get to 195* in the first place...I'd try to slow them down where they are now and hit 195 once, not twice.
  • Hitch
    Options
    Holding pretty steady at a high plateau of 175-176 Grid is currently 225. I have my remote to wake me up at 190 internal and I don't want my grid to get lower than 210.

I am going to try to get some sleep. Sheesh I hope this is a long plateau.

Thank a bunch. Any other comments/ encouragement would go a long way.

:cheer:
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    Hey Hitch....

The advice to wrap in foil, towels, then put in a cooler are spot on. I will get an average size cooler. Put a towel on the bottom. Put the foiled/toweled food on top of that. Then another towel on top of that. I pulled a butt wrapped that way 6-8 hours after I took it off the egg and when I unwrapped it it was steaming like it had just come off the grill. That's what I do in that situation.

Cheers,
    John
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    First, I'm not an expert, but here's an observation that I can pass on that might help you decide what to do. While my first choice would be to foil, towel and cooler, you have an exceptionally long time before you want to pull and serve, so...

We have a little BBQ joint here, and they make pretty good briskets and ribs (his pulled pork is just ok). Anyway, he smokes the meat all night in big industrial ovens, and before he opens up every morning, he wraps the finished briskets and ribs in foil, and puts them in his warming oven (155*). He makes a great brisket sandwich, and as orders come in, he reaches behind his station, and gets the warming meat out, unwraps it, slices it and plates it. He does this all day long.

For some reason, the ribs which have been warming all day, have a better texture than they are right out of the ovens in the early part of the day.

Not sure what it will do for Boston Butts, but I'd think you would have the same success.

Good luck.