Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the craziest thing to put on a pizza?

egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're having a pizza night and everyone's ideas are BORING! What's a great topping combo to wow these people with? I'm using the sauce recipe from the Whiz's site and making dough now (for tomorrow). I have some fresh basil in the garden and think I should roast a clove or two of garlic and get some fresh mozzarella. Still, pretty boring. I need help from the ever-supportive forum. We'll be cooking 6 or 7 pizzas, so I can play around.

Thanks,

Ed

Comments

• ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Pepperoni, mushrooms, onion, anchoivys and Jalapenos

JMHO....Rickyd
  • ChefTone
    ChefTone Posts: 42
    A restaurant in town called Greco's serves a great pizza that they call "Gourmet". At home on the Egg, I've made pizza with the same toppings and it turns out great every time.

The ingredients sound almost too simple to be that good but the combination is fabulous. Here's how to do it:

* Spread your pizza dough and generously smear garlic butter over it

* Cut cherry or grape tomatoes in half and evenly distribute over the crust.

* Slice small zucchini thinly and add as a topping

* Add sliced red onions

* Sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper

* Top with Mozzarella cheese

* Cook on the Egg and enjoy!

Let me know what you think if you decide to try it.

Cheers,
    Anthony
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Wellllll... one time a friend and I stopped at a pizza joint to grab something to eat. He asked me what I like on my pizza, and I said "anything". He turned to the person taking the order and said, "We want one pizza with mushrooms and pineapple." It caught me by surprise, but it was actually pretty good! :lol:

A red pie with mozzerella, crumbled sweet Italian sausage, and an egg cracked into the middle is an interesting one. Here's one I did with quail eggs:

P3030016.JPG

Scallop and bacon with garlic cream sauce:

pizza-scallop-small.jpg

White pie with Italian sausage and broccoli rabe (sauteed w/ garlic). Spinach could be used in place of broccoli rabe:

P3040004.JPG

*Disclaimer: These were done in my oven. I'm still quite new to the world of the BGE, and still working on my BGE pizza skills!

__Jason
  • Fluffy
    Fluffy Posts: 19
    The best pizza I've ever had comes from a small local pizza place. It has canadian bacon, pineapple, blue cheese, spinach and jalepenos. It sounds crazy, but the combination in awesome!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Fried Eggs. We do it practically every week.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    It isn't crazy but its :evil: good. Slice a giant onion & caramelize it until it's good & brown, almost crispy. Turn off the heat & add a good fist full of fresh chopped sage (& garlic if you want). Spread this combination evenly & over the mozzarella, then put on a generous amount of fresh goat cheese, drizzle on some olive oil - this'll be one of the favorites
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    One of the wifes favorites is ham & pineapple.

101_2162.jpg

101_2163.jpg

Still have the makings for chicken with alfredo but haven't tried it yet
  • smoked fatty slices and sweet peppers

fattypizza-012.jpg

pulled pork

pulledporkpizza-002.jpg

crab cake

crabcakepizza-017.jpg

asparagus

pizzaasparagus-004.jpg

and... if you dare!
    brussel sprouts!

28oct07-011.jpg

:woohoo:
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Rick,

You always have the most amazing looking vegatables. The asparagus and brussel sprouts look awesome.

Can you share some secrets??

Greg
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Ed,
    I am sure after my vacatiopn trip to Oaxaca in a week.....will bring something that I can anticipate will be the craziest edible ingredient
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Years ago, nearly at the end of a rather vigorous St. Pat's Day bender, my friend and I wound up at a place called Shenanigans where we demanded they put our corned beef on a pizza instead of on a plate. They complied, and it turned out really good, or at least really good when sitting on an ocean of lager and washed down with a lake of it. :woohoo:
  • secrets? i just throw everything in the egg and it comes out fabulous! :woohoo:
  • I like smoked oysters and anchovies on mine along with all the usual ingredients!

Jonspizzaclose-up.jpg
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    mushrooms...perhaps
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: yes bill your guess is as good as mine now.....but after I go to that indian market in the old town everything is possible......within USDA standards of course :laugh:
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    There will definately be a crab cake pizza made at our house this week, But as usual it won't be photographed as well as yours.

Great photos Rick,
    mike
  • For Breakfast

Salsa, scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, bacon, sour cream, philly cheese, red bell pepper, onion, and tomatoes

101_2207640x480.jpg

For anytime - Chicken and Andoille gumbo for sauce and filling with cheese on top (a local pizza house does these) I probably had oysters on there too since I normally make chicken, oyster, and andoille gumbo - just having a senior moment.

101_1590640x480.jpg

Mojo Pulled pork with mojo sauce and cheese

IMG_0872800x600.jpg

And for dessert - Apple pie Za with a cheddar cheese and a crumpled topping

101_2909800x600.jpg
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Don't know why, but baked beans sounds good to me right now.

LR
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Brad,

Let's hook up next year. Our party lasted for two days. We did pulled pork, ribs and corned beef on the egg. And you get to ride on a fire truck and throw beads.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Mustard mixed with ketchup for sauce.
    Browned ground beef.
    Onions and sliced dill pickles.
    White American cheese,
    Yummy!

Walt
  • Jeffersonian
    Sounds like a party I want to go to, though I might need to alert a local emergency room beforehand. Let's plan on 2009's St. Paddy's in Dogtown, then.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Jeffersonian,

It's a date. I want to die in Dogtown and I'm not even Irish.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeffersonian
    Oh, if you want to die, we have all kinds of places where that's possible in St. Looie.
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Pesto sauce on bottom, marinated artichoke hearts (olive oil), sun dried tomatoes, and pine nuts topped with your favorite cheese on a thin crust pizza dough.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Peanut butter and jelly. Not that I've tried it, but it sounds crazy.