Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size Egg to buy

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to become an Egghead, but am torn between the large and extra large. I'd rather have extra space than not enough. I normally cook for 4 with occasional entertaining. The XL looks a shorter than the lg. and I'm wondering if the cooking grid may be too close to the fire. Does the XL cook as well as the large?

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    this topic comes up almost weekly and everyone loves the size egg that they have...the most common response to your question is... the large will easily cook for 4 or more and uses less lump...if you can afford an xl, for the same amount on money you can get a large and a small and thus have 2 differnt cooking temps [meat on one sides on the other].
    many of us have more than one egg, i have a large and a mini and am considering picking up a small at the next local egg fest.
    my advice is get the large learn how to use it and get a second egg after a while.
    get a thermo pen and read the forum both will make you a better cook.
    bill
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i havent compared the height, but the way i generally cook i need it. most end up with a couple of eggs, make that part of the plan. a large small combo or two larges eventually might be better than one xl.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    yeah, what bill said.

RB
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I guess you will need to expand on the catering amounts to get the best suggestions. If your eally do a lot. You can wait until eggfest and get 2 larges for just a bit more than the MSRP on the XL. I personally like the L and S combination for home.
  • aaind
    aaind Posts: 235
    Bills right on ,learn to cook on large ,Its very stable easy to learn on ,You will end up with more just like the rest of us ,the xl take a lot more lump,Have fun!

100_2522.jpg
  • NY, like everyone below said you can not beat a large small combo. If I were you I would start out with the large only and get the feel for it. Later if you decide you need more room then a small would be a great addition. What part of NY are you in?
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    I don't believe the old axium that you can buy a large and a small for the same price with tax, I don't think so. The lump thing, its always mentioned, please how much more does it burn alot more like much much more no one really knows. It all boils down to the XL is fairly new on the scene and people have had alot more time with ther larges and have adapted. The fact of the matter is they are both exellent cookers, they both have a learning curve, they both have quirks you will adapt. Size is the deciding factor If you want one Egg on your deck with some true grill realestate the Xl is your Egg. If you want a fine cooker with a more limited grill surface then the Large is your grill cookability is virtualy the same.
    FireWalker
  • Get the large and a small, or a large and a medium. You will be able to cook 2 different things at 2 different temps at the same time. And, no matter if you buy a large or an XL, before long you'll want a 2nd egg, so why not do it from the get go? ;)
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    As you can see most prefer the large/small combo. I have the XL/small combo. Either combo will cook just fine. Why the XL?? Cause that's what I wanted. :) The XL probably does use more lump to get up to temp but surely not much more to maintain temp on low and slows. Grilling probably does use much more if grilling a full grate. I use Best Choice Lump (by Royal Oak) cost is $4.29 for a 10# bag. I do lots of cooking for $4.29. Dollar and cents wise my XL may cost less to cook with than a large using BGE lump, approx.$20.00 a bag in my area. No tests to prove, just my thoughts. TNmike
  • FYI - We have a big demo this weekend (Fleetwood Pa. Blues Fest) and will have Large and XL demo eggs available ..email me off list if interested...
    FB/SGP
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa.