Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thick boneless Pork Chops

Options
EggHeadFred
EggHeadFred Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to cook these on the Egg? Need some advice. Thanks Fred
Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I like to go indirect at 250 until done, then add an apricot glaze finish. Apple wood for smoke.
    plchops2.jpg
    Or chrispy chops.
    chop1.jpg

Mike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    heres an option, im not big on egged chops prefering pan fried, but this can be done with all sorts of ingridiants to add flavor.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2005/messages/188909.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    There are dozens of ways to do them well. Some will say to sear hot then cut down the heat and grill until done.
    If it were me, I would just go about 350-400(direct) until proper internal temp. They can get kinda dry do dont overcook.
    You will want some extra flavor in the form of rub or marinade probably. You could just sprinkle with Kosher salt and black pepper. I like them that way but also with a little garlic powder.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    My wife does not eat read meat. Therefore when I do a steak via TRex method, I cook her a pork chop steak using the same TRex method, but more when I am cooling down the EGG between sear and roast.

Greg
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03400a.jpg

Regardless of how you decide to cook them, you might consider preparing them for cooking by flavor brining for 1 hour. I like to cook mine to an internal of 145°, you might like them more done.

Flavor Brine #1:

1 quart of water
    3 tablespoons of Morton's kosher salt
    2 tablespoons of sugar

Seasonings like pepper, garlic powder, sage, lemon slices, onion slices, fresh herbs etc. are optional. A few ounces of flavored vinegar, wine, apple juice or even beer can be added as well.

More brining details are in the flavor brine page on my site, the link is below.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    I won't tell her if you won't, but pork is red meat (in spite of commercials to the contrary) ;)
  • ewillie
    ewillie Posts: 155
    Options
    I like to buy Costco's thick, boneless chops. I was wondering what Pecan rub might be like on them?

About how long do they take as you show them? How do you make the apricot glaze? Thanks, Erik