Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuck at 375 and won't budge

BeerBQ
BeerBQ Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1st cook and can't get the egg to cool down to do ribs...been on 375 for 20 minutes...needed to start cooking about an hour ago...this sucks! Any suggestions to quickly get the temp down

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    shouldn't go higher than you want. it's hard to bring temps down.

shut both vents completely and wait.

one of the reasons you probably bought the egg was because it holds temps so well. you just found out why. the ceramics warm up, and don't let go.
    shut the vents. when you get to maybe 300, put the meat on. they'll help drag temps down too.

usually we advise putting the platestter in at the beginning to come up to temp, but if you haven't put it in, it would actually help you out. it's cold, and putting the platesetter in cold along with the ribs will drag it down too a bit.

when are you planning on eating these ribs, they take 5, 6 hours minimum?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Close the bottom vent and put on ceramic top for a bit. Get it down to 200. Fire will not go out. At 200, but Daisy on with holes a bit open. Crack the lover vent. Get her stable and then get to work.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Stike, in order to eat at a decent hour, could he do an alternate method with decent possibilities of positive outcome, like going direct at a little higher temp than usual???
    :S
  • BeerBQ
    Thanks for the replies. I haven't put platesetter in yet. I was going to add it at 300 and hope the temp drops. I figure if I can get it to 275 I can at least start cooking.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    The plate setter needs to be in there as you stabilize at your target.
  • ChefTone
    ChefTone Posts: 42
    I AGREE SHUT BOTH VENTS DOWN,BE PATIENT THE TEMP WILL DROP...ENJOY THE RIBS.

CHEERS
    ANTHONY
  • BeerBQ
    well...added the platesetter, drip pan, grid and it dropped roughly 75 degrees. Added ribs and dropped another 25. I've been bringing up to temp now. right at 250 as we speak. Keeping a close eye on temp. Sorry for the panic posts.
  • Stanley
    You didn't stabilize before you put in the meat, but I don't blame you - I know you are in a time crunch. It does mean you'll need to do some careful temperature tending to keep around your target. You'll be OK.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Be aware your egg IS NOT stable.

On my large I open the bottom vent 1/8" (about the thickness of a credit card) The top vent close the slider and open the petals 1/3.

This should put you at about 250° to 275° dome temp. If you find your temp climbing close the top petals down a little more to closed. Keep checking your temp.

If you are cooking and the ribs are not getting done in time you could foil them and crank the heat back up higher if needed to finish them off quicker.

Let us know how this turns out.

GG
  • Bacchus
    Just think how much you have learned already, just from this cook.

Most of the time when things go awry, the finished product is still quite good.

The ribs will be good, and you will have gained a good bit of eggsperience.
  • BeerBQ
    About 255 right now...shut things down and things seem to be going good (finally) :) Thanks for all the replies!! Pictures later.
  • Bacchus
    So howzit comin?
  • BeerBQ
    Just wrapped in foil. Looked pretty dry, but we shall see. Temp fluctuating a bit 240-270 range. Any suggestions for final hour? When to sauce? The final hour/half hour?

Do I unwrap and leave the ribs sitting in the foil the last hour, or Do iremove them completely?
  • Stanley
    The foil (hopefully with a little added liquid) should speed the cooking. Hard to say what's next considering how little I know about what's come before, but I'd probably pull them from the foil after 1- 1 1/2 hrs and finish on the grid, adding sauce for the last 10 min or so.