Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Pizza on the BGE and a Mistake...

thebtls
thebtls Posts: 2,300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mini Pizza on the Big Green Egg
Whipped up a couple of 7" pizzas tonight; One Tomato-Basal Mozzarella, and one garbage (everything I had).

Flipped one (the garbage) completely upside down off the edge of the pizza peel to start things off. However I somehow managed to snap it right back over (and you actually can't hardly tell(be nice)).

rsminiDSC00327.jpg

One Mistake I made however was putting the plate-setter "legs up" for the first time ever. That made the crust cook too quickly...a tip for some of you out there...but by chance they turned out perfect but by the forbidden "peaking early" method only...otherwise it would have been a disaster. Legs Down (at least that is my recommendation)!
Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241

Comments

• Grillmama
    Grillmama Posts: 194
    They look edible to me! :)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    yup...legs down and with a pizza stone to boot makes ingress and egress pretty easy. BTW my two dogs would have been on that dropped pizza in a flash...like they did once when I tripped.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ChefTone
    ChefTone Posts: 42
    I still have not decided whether to put plate-seter legs up or down.Have not mastered the art of making pizza on the EGG,can not seem to get the crust the way I like it.
    Picture006.jpg
    CHEERS
    ANTHONY
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I do the plate setter legs up, grid on the legs, and the stone on the grid or the Airbake pan on the grid.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    when you say legs down, do you put the stone directly on the surface of the plate setter or do you put some kind of spacer between the two for air flow (I have seen some pix with the BGE feet holding the stone off the setter & someone else recommended putting copper plumbing fittings in to lift the stone)
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Those are some good lookin' za's! What diameter are they?
  • Being relatively new (just over two months now) to the world of “Egg” I can only give my experience of today, which was my first pizza pie on a BGE.
    I made up a nice thick veggie and four cheese pie, baking it on a stone directly atop the plate-setter which was placed legs down.
    I had a good fire going, and then throttled it back to about 400, baking the pie for about 20 minutes.
    I personally could have had it in for a few more minutes, I like the cheese more nicely browned…But the wife doesn’t.
    No matter, it was baked to perfection with some slight browning of the cheese and a crust that also had some browning but was still “just right”. I really have to say that it was the BEST pizza I’ve ever had!!
    I must be an official Egg-Head now! As I’ve made some great pizza pies over the years…But the one from the Egg today is the top prize winner!
  • cactusjk
    cactusjk Posts: 14
    Will 8" stones work with a Mini Woo Ring?