Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy Skin

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi there, [p]I have tied chicken many times around 400 degress. The meat is as moist as can be but I don't seem to get that nice crispy skin (almost rubbery). [p]Any suggestions?[p]Thanks in advance![p]Sean

Comments

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Sean,
    Dry it real well with paper towels and rub it
    down with olive oil. That should do it.
    Chuck

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Sean,
    You can try JJ`s coating from his game hens..or work from his base and add your own spices/etc.... I have done similar and get real close to a fried/baked crust on my chicken..HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]JJ`s hens[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Sean,[p]Rubbery skin at 400°F is a sign that the (dome) heat you are using is not reaching the meal. Indirect cooking also requires good airflow around the meal along with providing shielding from the direct heat of the fire. An example of bad airflow is when setting the meal into a drip pan, as the pan itself limits the airflow around the meal - thus the access of the heat.[p]If this is your situation, simply raise the meal to a level and inch or so above the lip of the drip pan. If the drip pan is of the disposable foil type, cut the lip down (with respect to what it will be required to contain).[p]Spin
  • BobbyG
    Options
    Sean,
    What you need to do here is let the Chicken sit in the Frig for a couple of hours. It will pull moisture out of the skin and not mess with the meat. You should have a crispy outer shell.[p]See ya,BobbyG