Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp. probe protectors for under $2

Options
WileECoyote
WileECoyote Posts: 516
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Like many eggers I have been wrapping my temp. probes in foil to protect them from food drippings and excessive heat. This has worked ok but it is a nuisance to keep replacing the foil and some sauce inevitably gets inside so I wanted something more permanent. I did a good bit of research and determined that protective wire sleeving was the answer.

Wire sleeving is available in many different materials, colors, and sizes. For high temp. protection you need sleeving which is treated with fiberglass, nomex, or ceramic compounds. Unfortunately this high temp. sleeving is difficult to find at local stores and it can cost up to $3.00 per foot on the web so I put this project on hold for a while.

I recently came across a supplier which had 100 ft. of high temp. sleeving really cheap so I snagged it. This stuff is made by Mr. Gasket and it is called Inferno Heat Shield. Here are links to their website, the specific product , and a product spec sheet catalog.
6326K.jpg

Note that it is rated for 1200F continuous and 2000F peak temp. so this is plenty good for the egg. And before you question the safety of this around food, I have heard that the egg will not get hot enough internally to break this stuff down to the point that it would give off any odors or residue so it should be fine. Several other eggers have already used similar sleeving for years and reported good results.

I got some in black and some in silver because I plan to use it on several projects including 10 additional temp. probes which I am adding to the egg for some special testing. I won't need all of the sleeving though so I am willing to sell the extra at my cost if anyone wants it. I paid $0.72 per foot and I am willing to ship it to you free via USPS first class mail as a favor. So you can get 2' of it for $1.44 which should be enough to cover two temp. probes like most of us use on a Maverick ET-73 or similar. You can get more if you want but it is first come, first served to be fair. Just send me a message via the forum if interested.

And if anyone else has already done this then please share your results.

Comments

• WileECoyote
    Options
    Several people have already asked for sleeving but I still have some extra. If you want some then you can send me a message via this forum but be advised that I use an anti-spam service so you may receive a prompt to confirm your email before it will be delivered. If you have trouble with email then you can also post a note here and I will reply to you.
  • Wanabe
    Wanabe Posts: 355
    Options
    Great idea, I used this stuff years ago on hotrods to protect wiring near headers. I plan on buying a DigiQ or stoker after using my BGE for awhile.
  • BoneDaddy's
    BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
    Options
    What exactly am I going to use it for? To cover the wire of the temp probe?
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    The sleeving would slip over the end of temp. probe wire to protect the portion that runs inside the egg and is exposed to high temps, smoke, and food gunk. It can be removed or reapplied as needed. I am also going to use it on some of my automotive and electronic projects. It protects wires from being nicked or cut and keeps them neater. I think the automotive industry uses this stuff to protect expensive high performance spark plug wires from engine heat. It is also used in aircraft to prevent wires from shorting out or causing fires.
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Well the high temp. sleeving arrived today and I will be shipping all of the pieces tommorrow for those that requested some. I thought I would update this thread to show everyone how my probe covers turned out.

Installation was quick and easy. Measure off enough sleeving to cover each probe, cut the sleeving straight across with scissors, slip each section on to the probes, and secure the end closest to the probe with a short piece of galvanized or stainless steel wire. You could also use a stainless steel wire tie if you have it, fencing wire, or anything which is not flammable or a soft metal like aluminum. In addition to protecting my probe wires from extreme heat, smoke, soot, sauce, drippings, grease, etc. these covers also make the probes look better and they keep the wires from tangling which is a big plus because they would previously get tangled every time I put them back in their storage box under my table.

The photos below show my covered probes from a Maverick ET-73. I used 33" for the smoker / pit probe and 28" for the meat probe but you could use more or less depending on how long your probe wires are and how much of the wires that you want to protect. You really only need to protect the portion that goes inside the egg so a minimum of 12" should be fine on each probe. I left the plug-end of the sleeving open on both wires since this material is not supposed to fray and it will allow any moisture which might get inside the sleeving to dry out. A big improvement for only $2 or $3, wish I had done it sooner.

If anyone still wants some of the probe cover sleeving then I have a little extra left but not much. I sold 30' already and I need to keep a bunch for my other projects. The offer to sell at my cost with free shipping still stands until it is gone. I have learned so much from this forum that this is the least I can do to help some of you out.

The smoker/pit probe:
    probecovers1.jpg

The meat probe:
    probecovers2.jpg

Closeup of the ends:
    probecovers3.jpg
  • I would like to buy a couple feet of the probe protection tubing if you still have it.

Thanks,

Bill Cummings
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    Sorry, my spare stock is all gone now. It is readily available on ebay and other websites. See the info above. Good luck!