Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Graph

Options
UnConundrum
UnConundrum Posts: 536
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
From time to time I've posted graphs of large chuck roasts on the egg. This time I'm doing a brisket. Will be interesting to see what the dome temp does once it enters the plateau. I also have two meat probes installed, both in the flat, but the "Blue" probe is inserted under the point.

You can find the graph HERE

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Very cool. I couldn't get the hang of the zoom,it seems as when I clicked on it, it took me to where there was no activity. Maybe I didn't wait long enough for it to regenerate.

So do you set the IP address in stoker the same as your access page? Thanks.
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    Clicking in the graph will just give you one point which will look like nothing is there. You have to click and drag to cover a section of the graph to zoom. And no, the stoker and the web page have two different addresses. The stoker is behind our firewall, whereas the web page isn't.
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Interesting how the dome temp starts higher than the pit and then seems to drop and remain much lower. I've seen comments made that dome is several degrees higher than pit and then seems to equalize (or nearly so) after time. Thanks for the graph, I'll keep watching, very interesting. TNmike
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    Mike, if you notice, it picks back up and eventually, the dome will surpass the pit... I have some theories on what's going on there :)
  • TNmike
    Options
    The dome had not started it's climb when I made the lst post. I see what you are talking about on the dome picking back up. OK give us your theory, I don't have a clue. Your Stoker is regulating by pit temp, wonder what a graph (ie.pit temp) would look like if regulating by dome temp? Mike
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    Well, actually, I've found it difficult to do that with small bumps in pit temp. When I first observed this, I started bumping the set temp, and went up 20 - 30 degrees and still couldn't get the dome up there...

My theory is that the meat is sucking up the BTUs to work on the collagen. When the collagen is mostly gone, the BTUs stop getting absorbed and the dome rises again.
  • TNmike
    Options
    I just recently got a DigiQ, so what are your thoughts on the best place to attach the 'cooking probe' on the dome or pit? And your thoughts on settings. I haven't done a butt yet (all nighter) with the DigiQ. I have done butts with just a wired meat probe and dome at 250-270 and everything was fine. From your graph seems like if I keep the dome in the 250-270 my pit temp might be pushing 300 in the middle of the cook. Thanks again for the graphs, sometimes too much info is hard on my aging simple brain. :) Wish others would look at your info and add their thouhgts also. TNmike
  • Smokin-AJ's
    Options
    Is your software ready for general release? I use the stoker web software right now.
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    Nah... not really. You can follow the links to download it if your good at ruby. But we have a lot of features to add and some bugs to fix yet. We're also waiting for a new version of the stoker firmware to be released...
  • Smokin-AJ's
    Options
    What new version for the stoker? I am running the latest version right now. Did not know there was a newer version coming?
  • UnConundrum
    Options
    Nothing official. No new features, just better telnet connectivity. Currently we have to scrape the internal web site and do a post to control the unit.