Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What a find!

Options
DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Several months ago, I ordered some Dizzy Dust Rub. Really like using it, especially when mixed with JH Pecan Rub...on ribs. Well, they sent me some little packages (samples) of their other rubs, and yesterday I got around to trying them. Why hasn't someone told me about Raising the Steaks! We egged some of the best boneless ribeye steaks I've ever had last night after rubbing them with this fantastic stuff. I WILL be ordering some more.
DSCN0403.jpg

We also did the onion and beef bouillon cube trick. Was tasty but shouldn't have used a Vidalia. They don't cook as tender as the smaller sweet white onions.

DSCN0397.jpg

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    A mouth watering steak, mashed potatoes, creamed spinach and a steamed onion to boot? There oughta be a law against pictures like that!!! 8 - )~~~
  • EGGLANDS BEST
    Options
    i second that remark rascal.... Dyna that looks great B)
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what is the beef bullion cube trick? Up to now, I have only tried cooking onions whole with some evoo and a spice rub.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Get one of those smaller, round white onions...not a Vidalia. Slice the top and the bottom off and peel it, and with a small spoon or a melon baller, carve out a cavity in the top of the onion. Put one of those beef boullion cubes down in the cavity--you know, they are about 1/2 inch cubed and usually wrapped up in foil.

DSCN0396.jpg
    Then, put the whole thing in HDAF with an opening at the top. Cook on the egg at about 350-400 for about an hour. (Same way you'd do a baked potato). The juices from the onion will be contained by the HDAF and the boullion flavor will permeate the whole onion. Really nice side, and very convenient for the egg. Have fun.
  • kjed
    kjed Posts: 55
    Options
    Dyna,

I will have to respectfully disagree about not using a Vidalia (in the interest of full disclosure, I have never used a small white onion, which might be even better).

I do onions almost the same way you do them: cut off the top and bottom, then I score the top with an X, about 1/4 inch deep. I pull the onion open a little bit at the score, just wide enough to squeeze a pat of butter in there. Then I put in the bullion cube, double-wrap in HDAF, and cook at 375-450 (vidalias are REALLY forgiving to the temp) for at least an hour. I've found that the longer it cooks, the more tender it is.

If I know I'm going to do the onions, I'll put them on first, while prepping everything else. I've also been known to start them in the oven if I don't want to waste charcoal for a few onions...

I'm sure that part of the reason the smaller white onions are more tender is because they are smaller, and take less time to tenderize. I know I'll be trying them next cook!

Keith
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    I think I might try something like that tonight. While I don't have a bouillon cube, I do have some concentrated stuff that should do the trick. Tonight's dinner seems to be getting yummier as the day goes on or is it that I'm just getting hungry!

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Point well taken. However, it took my Vidalia over 2 hours to get tender all the way thru at about 400* last night. That's the only reason it wasn't plated with the rest of the meal. I've never used butter either. That might make them cook faster. And I have found that the thickness of the layers on a Vidalia seems to be the culprit, not the overall size of the onion. The litteler white ones' layers are much thinner. Seems to only take about an hour to do them.

How long to yours take?
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Your seasonings and olive oil sounds similar. Should be good.
  • kjed
    kjed Posts: 55
    Options
    Totally agree with you about the thickness of the layers on the Vidalia. I don't think I've ever done them in under 2 hours, and on a few occasions, they've gone 3 or more hours. At that point, it's like having french onion soup, which is how I like it...

I'm going to try some small white onions next time; I was thinking the sweet Spanish whites. Is that what you use?

Cheers,
    Keith