Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cajun Rub

Options
DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morton's has a Cajun Ribeye that is my daughter's absolute favorite. I've got a couple real nicely marbled boneless ribeyes for tonight's cook. Does anyone have any good ideas about how I might replicate their rub? I have some Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning, some Raising the Steaks, some Red Eye Express, and some McCormick's Cajun Seasoning to play with. Ofcourse I got my favorite JH Pecan Rub, but I'm not sure it belongs.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• AUWaterfowler
    Options
    Brush some melted butter on your ribeyes and cover liberally with Chef Paul Prudhommes Blackened Steak Magic. Put a cast iron skillet on the egg and get it to about 700 degrees. Sear both sides of the ribeyes in the skillet for about 30 seconds/side. Remove steaks and let sit at room temp for 10-15 minutes (doing this evens internal and external temp out so they will finish cooking evenly, i.e. not burned on outside and raw in middle). Remove skillet, or just push to side if there is plenty of room. Close all vents on egg....I put the green thing back on top (what's that called?). After letting them rest the 10-15 minutes, grill them as you normally would. Egg will be about 500 degrees, so don't leave or you will overcook. I go about 2 minutes per side for a nice medium, depending on the thickness.

I also usually add a bit more seasoning after the 10-15 minute rest.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Thanks, AU. Is Prudhommes' Steak Magic 'bout the same as Mortons flavor? Sure sounds easy enough.
  • AUWaterfowler
    Options
    I have no idea how it compares to Morton's, but I've never had another cajun blackened steak that tastes better.....and I try them at nearly every nice restaurant that has it on the menu.

I'll send you a check for the steaks if she doesn't like it! :)
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Well, that's confidence. I can't wait to try it. Thanks