Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Retirement Eve Pizza

Cpt'n Cook
Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This little baby gave the First Mate and I a little trouble last night. We couldn't find any edible fresh mushrooms at the market so we used some canned ones, mistake. It made the pie so heavy we couldn't slide it off the peal without an exhausting 2 minute epic struggle in a 600 degree egg. After about 8 mins it was also a hassle trying to get it off the stone in a 700 deg.egg finally ended up taking it off stone and all, a couple of egg feet did a Gandalf into the inferno.
It was worth all the effort it tasted great anyway.
WholewheatPizza.jpg
Today I ended a 40 year career as a graphic artist. It has been quite a trip from Press type and ruling pens to computers and RIP stations. I have done my last software upgrade. Looking forward to getting back to old fashioned brushes and oil paint.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Congrats on the retirement! -RP
  • dls2122
    dls2122 Posts: 66
    Congrats on your retirement. I'll offer you up a toast tonight! Don't know about the mushrooms or the struggle, but boy oh boy that pizza certainly looks good. Homemade crust?

Don
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Congratulations on your career and a toast to a terrific retirement.

And the pie - I have made some ugly ones that sure did taste good.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    All I can say is Congrats! 40 years service. WOW! :woohoo: :woohoo: Kick back and enjoy yourself and keep those egg pics coming. You definately deserve it with that many years in the workforce. I guess the day I retire Im gonna take my alarm clock out on the front porch and take a baseball bat and send it flying. :woohoo: Thats about 28 years away. :ohmy: Anyways.... The pizza looks awesome. Later
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Welcome to the wonderful world of retirement! I was fortunate enough to roll out at age 60. That was 3.5 years ago and I've never looked back! Enjoy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Congrats to you and your First Mate. I haven't gotten around to trying pizza on my egg yet...still trying to master ABT's. Been retired for about 6 years. You'd think I would have branched out by now. Retired life is a good thing!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    congrats Cpt'n!

looking forward to seeing some of your stuff (pre and POST retirement).

very happy for you.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    I am so jealous. I have two more years to go and then I will join your happy crowd. Of course, I don't have it too bad right now - easy job and the Spring Chicken has dinner on the table (egged naturally) when I get home. I have to admit I am pretty spoiled. So far, out of my 44 years of working, I spent 6 of them with a printing company. I loved visiting in the Art Department. It always fascinated me - especially after the computer age and they could just erase pixels they didn't want. We also had an old Linotype we kept around and used just for fun.....enjoy your retirement - you deserve it!
    Spring "not missing her print days" Hen
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    great looking pie!!!

congrats on your retirement ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Cpt'n Cook
    I spent a lot of years in depARTment. I go back to those old days of specking out type and driving off to the type house and even hand lettering. We've come a long way baby. Can't imagine having had to go through all that.
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Congrats on your retirement, just think how much more time you can dedicate to eggin'

Jimmy
    Come visit NOLA
  • Cpt'n Cook
    It's going to take a bit of a brain shift, I do have a few things in mind. Hopefully stretching up and priming some canvas will get me back into the groove.
  • stike
    well... i'm sitting here in the second year of my graphics career. i hope someday i canhang out with you on the other side as a retiree too. though i feel semi-retired as it is!
  • Fossil Frank
    Fossil Frank Posts: 285
    Congrats on your retirement. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it,I have been retired 18 years and it's great.
    Ijust wish I had known about the BGE more than just the last year and a half. We should be getting some great pix from you, I look forward to seeing them.Meant to say good looking pizza too.
    Frank from Indiana
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Remember the days if you wanted any type set you had to send out to a type house? Parapaque(sp?) register marks? rubber cement?

Dot etchers for your 4/c corrections?

Those were the days! Good luck in your retirement. See you at Fred's?
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    I know what you mean. I love to tell the "youngsters" that our first copy machine would take one piece of paper at a time and you had to tear the back off of the sheet when it was finished. They can't relate....
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Congrats on the retirement. Great looking pizza. Hope to meet some of you fellow New England eggers at some point.
  • Chuck_K
    Chuck_K Posts: 47
    Congratulations on your retirement. I will be joining you in a year or sooner.

Enjoy and maybe we'll see you replacing Bob Ross on the PBA channel. Although I don't think you would consider Bob an artist.
  • Congradulations and welcome to the retiree ranks. You are going to love it.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Running out for extra half tone dots :lol:
  • stike
    i used to half to piece together scraps of frigging zip-a-tone to shade areas of floor plans. holy crizzap. what a pain in the adze that is.

rememeber the leroy lettering machine, hahaha. i remember BEGGING for a 0-0-0-0 jewel point rapidograph. worht more than i made in a week.

got any stuff you wanna sell? wacom tablets? scanners?

i got 30 more years of this ahead of me
  • Cpt Cook

After forty years you certainly deserve your retiremetn. Live it to the fullest.

John
  • Cpt'n Cook
    God Zip-a-tone I had blanked that out of my memory. Stike you are not that old to remember that. I started out with the ruling pen, I was in art school when the first Rapido-graph pen came out. the 1984 Mac was a godsend for me. I could see that famous sledgehamer Mac ad as replacing the sledgehammer with a technical pen.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Gonna try dude.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Thanks all for the kind thoughts.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Many congrats on such a long awaited milestone!!! When you get to the point that you would like to talk about graphic art again, let me know. I just do it as a hobby and always welcome ideas and insights. Congrats again!