Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Final times from Butt/Chuck cook!

Options
70chevelle
70chevelle Posts: 280
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's the statistics.

2 8# Boston butts. Put on LBGE at 7:30pm Tuesday nite. Finished at 200* at 12:30 pm Wednesday. Foiled & coolered until 5:30 pm Wednesday. 17 hours, or so, for the 2 butts.

I had about 2/3rds of my lump left when I got setup for the chuck roast to go on. I put a few handfuls on to bring it up above the parting line of the firebox and fire ring.

9# chuck went on about 1:00 pm on Wednesday. My better half forgot to take it out of the fridge, so the internal temp started in the low 40's. I had some issues controlling the temp after I added about a third of load of lump. Nothing terrible, but it got to 300* in the evening, and dropped to 200* at about 1:00 am. Didn't have any ill effects, just not as 'easy' as the first fresh load. At 10:30 pm the internal was at 173*. At 1:00 am the internal was at 185*, and the dome was at 200*. I cleared the coal grates holes with an experimental egg tool (Bent coat hanger) and got the temp back up. At 6:00 am this morning, the internal was 205*, and the egg as at 230*. Another 17 hours.

Got the chuck foiled & coolered, and the wife is going to pull it this morning. The grate was a mess. I still had a few coals in the fire box, so I opened the vents and moved the coals in a pile in the center. I got a cleaning fire over 400* for about an hour.

To sum up:

35.5 hours on approximately 1 1/3 load of lump including 1 hour cleaning burn.
25# of meat.

I got 16 hours of sleep and worked 9.5 hours in that 35.5 hour time frame. It's almost too easy! I did take some pics of the butts, pre-pull and pulled, but haven't had time to download yet. I'll put them up soon.

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    What time is the party Saturday? Directions to your place? :whistle: I have been trying to buy a pallet of lump from Humphrey's for over a month now. I am using my last bag of lump! They(Humphrey's)are telling me there is a massive shortage of lump charcoal. Their supplier in Missouri has been promising them a shipment of 18 to 20 tons for two months. I'm to call back AGAIN next week to see if it comes in. Are you having any trouble getting it? Mark
  • dls2122
    dls2122 Posts: 66
    Options
    Thanks for the time table - along with your post yesterday this is very helpful. I'm making my first boston butt for Sunday and would have been way off timewise. On my weber I would have cooked this about 7 hours indirect, but hotter. I knew it would take longer, but I was thinking about 8-9 hours for a 7 1/2 pounder. You saved me from Pizza Sunday and the butt on Monday. No that Pizza is bad, but I would have been very disappointed. Again, love the hints on this forum. You guys are obsessed - thanks for that. Looking forward to joining the club.

Don