Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings - lost it

Options
BoneDaddy's
BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So maybe a week or so ago someone posted a great wing recipe which had a wet wing which was tossed in a tasty looking conconction. I lost the recipe....is this ringing any bells? Anyone have the old post, a search came up blank.
Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering

Comments

• BoneDaddy's
    Options
    Close, I have that one, it was more of just a hot wing, not flavored with Lemon-pepper or anything like that.
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    It mentioned tossing the wings in a large bowl after they come off the grill
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I have done wings several times, but this one work had a nice crunch for not being fried. My variation is when the wings are about 80% cooked I toss them in a large bowl with Franks Hot sauce or BBQ sauce (depending on whos' taste you're cooking for) and then put them back on the grill to finish. You can toss them again when you pull them off the grill if you want them wetter.

http://dizzypigbbq.com/recipesWings.html
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i am not sure which one you are talking about but here is my current wing favorite (i have not tried the Trex wing)::::::

Wings, Chicken, Georgia Red, Wise One

I think you'll like this, it's definitely one of the best I've ever tasted. It's not over-poweringly spicy but quite flavorful.

INGREDIENTS:
    3-4 lbs chicken wings
    3/4 cup soy sauce
    1 1/4 cups water
    1/2 cup Texas Pete hot sauce
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1/2 cup Hot and Spicy V8 juice

Procedure
    1 Cut the wings apart at the joints discarding (or saving for stock) the tips.
    2 Combine marinade ingredients in a large container with a lid. and place the wings in the container making sure they are all covered with marinade.
    3 It is best to let the wings marinate in the refrigerator overnight (or at least 2-4 hours).
    4 Remove the wings from the marinade and sprinkle with Big Green Egg Gourmet Seasoning (or your favorite rub for chicken).
    5 Grill indirect at about 350 deg. for 15 to 30 minutes on each side. If grilling direct, monitor carefully and turn every 10 minutes.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry, Appetizer, Snack

Recipe Source
    Author: Wise One

Source: BGE Forum, Wise One

Personally, I like them very crispy (an hour) but some like them just barely browned (30-40 minutes).

This does enough wings to cover the grill of a large BGE with some sapce between the wings. You could probably double the recipe and get them all on, but you would be overlapping some.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BoneDaddy's
    Options
    This is great, I have not found the one I was looking for yet, but I now have 3 great reciped for my database...keep them coming
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    My wings have never been that great. Mostly because they were just too spicy/hot. (It's an olde phart thing).

But I thought I would try the T-Rex version posted a couple of days ago. The thought of an apple cider vinegar background flavor appealed to me. I also cooked some boneless breasts for dinner.

LimePepperwingsandBreasts7-17-08.jpg

I used lime pepper instead of lemon pepper. I also cut down dramatically on the Louisiana Hot Sauce. Other than that I stayed pretty much to the plan.

They were tasty but too spicy/hot. I might try them again with only a light sprinkling of lime pepper and very little hot sauce.

The thing I didn't care for was the amount of time it took to cook them (3 hrs). I'm thinking wings should be very easy and very fast, but still be very flavorful. Maybe someone has a recipe like that.

Spring "Wings Are For Flying" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    What you're talking about is ringing a distant bell. I didn't save the recipe but a long shot could be that it's on Pork Butt Mike's site. I can't get there right now but here's the url: http://www.bbqcamper.com/
  • BoneDaddy's
    Options
    I'll check it out later, the site is down
  • Dawg Gone Egghead
    Options
    Grill them how you like them(crispy suits me best) and then drop them in the crockpot with this mixture. Very tangy and savory sauce -

1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
    4 (12-ounce) bottles Frank's original Red Hot sauce 4 lemons
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    **this will make about 10 lbs.; cut it down based on your batch

Heat up your crockpot and melt the butter; add the Franks and warm until it starts to simmer. Once it does add your lemon juice. Finally, when your wings are ready to come off the grill add in the Worcestershire sauce.

Now you're ready to add in the wings and I usually add in as many as the sauce will cover and then put the lid on the crockpot - let them go for 5-10 minutes knowing the longer they go the saucier they will get. ;)

BTW I originally saw this sauce recipe in the AJC back in January of 2007.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Interesting. My wings always take 3 hours for the 'fall off the bone' type. Always indirect so far.