Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke questions

Options
Trailblazer1229
Trailblazer1229 Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have heard alot of people stating that when using smoking chips to wait before the smoke dissapates before placing the meat on the egg. I understand that and it makes sense. The first cook I made was T-bone with Jack Daniel's whiskey chips and I don't think I waited for the smoke to clear. They had a very smoky flavor. I guess I am confused as to what happens after the smoke lifts. Do they still continue to burn without smoke, thus infusing the flavor into the meat? Any opinoins on this?

Comments

• 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Heavy smoke is an indicator of incomplete combustion. As the wood chip heats and chars it is burned with more incomplete combustion. Once charred and up to temp it continues to burn more efficiently and cleaner but still imparts good flavor while the carbon chunk is consumed.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    for quicker cooks its more important for the smoke to clear, its still there, you just dont really see it. on long cooks like a pork butt it just doesnt matter, i throw the chunks in then the meat. i dont usually use smokeing woods with steak and go fairly light with chicken and turkey and for those cooks i like the smoke to look clean
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    A lot of sources say that the initial heavy smoke lends a bitter flavor to the meat. By waiting for the heavy smoke to clear, you are supposed to get the smoke flavor without the bitterness.

I personally haven't found it to make a whole heck of a lot of difference, but I'm doing it this way now, since it seems to be the 'right' technique.

-John
  • ChefDave
    ChefDave Posts: 142
    Options
    Your link does not work......
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    I thought it was you should make sure your charcoal is not smoking too much. You let the fire get settled. Than you are suppose to add chips that are soaked and this smoke I assume is OK. I add the chips around the edge of the lighted middle for long and slow cooks.
    I thought the same thoughts? Are my chips gone if they are not smoking?
    So I get my charcoal settled and than add the chips and put the meat on.
    But it is a very good question.
  • spbull472
    spbull472 Posts: 128
    Options
    When using chunks, I wait until the smoke turns almost a wispy blue and then I throw my meat on. That seems to work best for me, I used to throw on when it was churning out tons of grey smoke but I didn't like the taste as much.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Smell the smoke.
    If it is thick and white or yellow, I bet it isn't an appetizing aroma. Want your food to taste like that? Even a little bit?
    After the smoke changes to a pale blue, smell the smoke again.

Don’t soak the wood.
  • spbull472
    Options
    Michael B wrote:
    Smell the smoke.
    If it is thick and white or yellow, I bet it isn't an appetizing aroma. Want your food to taste like that? Even a little bit?
    After the smoke changes to a pale blue, smell the smoke again.

Don’t soak the wood.

What he said and you'll also learn that with chunks, less is more.
  • TorontoBrad
    Options
    Just curious - the bags of woodchips I have all say to soak the chips for 30 mins... Is it best NOT to soak when using the Egg?
  • spbull472
    Options
    Not sure about chips, but it's typically recommended not to soak the chunks.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC05386JPGxx.jpg

"smell the smoke" & "less is more better"...

I'd have to agree with both of you.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery