Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking question for large groups

Options
Mainegg
Mainegg Posts: 7,787
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking for 60 here at the studio on Sat. I have my large and am bringing in two med. I am starting with cinn rolls, no problem there and doing boneless chix breast stuffed with goat cheese, dried tomatoes and spinach. What temp do I need to go to for the chix? They will be flattened and rolled so didn't know if I still went with a reg temp for the chix or if the cheese would through it off. While it rests from coming off the egg I will be grilling romaine to chop and use as a base under the chix. no problem there just the temp on the chix.

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    Never done them stuffed or pounded, but whole boneless chicken breasts do great at 325-350, indirect, for 10 to 15 minutes per side, depending on how thick they are. I would think shorter for the thinner ones, but longer for the stuffing????? So, maybe 10 to 15 minutes per side, after all. Hope that helps. Enjoy your party.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I don't know the answer but have been wanting to do something VERY similar soon. PLEASE let us know how it turns out, how you did it, and how you might do it differently next time.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hi Ron, I did stuffed thighs at the new england egg fest with just the goat cheese and sun dried tom. they were very good. simple and fast. pounded out the boneless thighs and stuffed and rolled then scewred 4 together with 2 kabob's sticks. made them very easy to handle. Breast were on sale last week cheaper than the thighs so that is why the change up.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I expect you have a thermopen. Just use it in the chicken. Your stuffing should all be done enough if the chicken is. Just be carefull not to go to the center & read the temp. of your stuffing. As Max would say "Easy Peasy".
  • Mitch's Oh Yeah!
    Options
    Good luck on your cook. Sounds like fun with a great menu.

I cooked for 30 a week ago and was amazed how much food the XL can handle. Grilled shrimp, Tri-Tip, chicken wings and muffins went on no problem.

I think people are shocked to see one grill and wonder if the party is catered. :)

Mitch's Oh Yeah!
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I have cooked these for years.I cook them in a whole throw away pan on a raised grid at 350°until internal temp reaches 160°.I cooked these last month at the CSRA Eggfest.
    Larry

Shrimp-Stuffed Chicken Breast
    Description:
    Ingredients: • 4 fresh,boneless,skinless chicken breast • 8 Oz salad shrimp,cooked
    • 4 Tbs Wisconsin butter,melted • 1 Cup½-inch diced Wisconsin Swiss cheese
    • 1 tsp seasoned salt • ½ Cupsliced green onions
    • 1 tsp paprika • 4 Tbs mayonnaise -1 teaspoon dill weed

Instructions: Mix stuffing ingredients in a 2-quart mixing bowl.Place chicken breast on a chopping block and pound almost flat with meat mallet .Fold each chicken breast around ¼ of the stuffing mixture.Place stuffed chicken breast in a whole throw away greased pan,cast iron will work to.Top with melted butter,seasoned salt and paprika.
    Bake uncovered on the EGG at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.

.The paprika,seasoned salt and butter does not go in the stuffing you pour it on top of the chicken.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i would do them the same as you did the thighs with the exception that the internals dont need to go as high. maybe 165 to 170 max. its almost a feel type thing as the pounded out meat is alot more difficult to get a reading on, i found it difficult with the pounded out and rolled porkchops i did a couple years ago to get the meat just right, but the stuffing is usually moist enough to make up for the meat being drier.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YB
    Options
    Here is a picture of a half pan ready to go on the egg in Atlanta.You can use half pans on the medium and whole pans on the large.
    Larry
    ShrimpStuffedChickenBreast.jpg
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Larry, why the pan?

Julie, what time, temp, setup did you go with?
  • YB
    Options
    I use the pan because the stuffing melts and will get in the egg and when I melt the butter,seasoned salt and paprika and pour over the chicken it stays in the pan.Hope this helps Ron.
    Larry