Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt verification

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to put on a 7 lber tonight after the Mountie game. Going to keep it around 220*. I want to double check on a couple things...
plateau will be around 160ish and will hold for several hours?
Once the butt holds 180ish, open the vents and let it rip till the meat hits 200.
rough guess is 2hrs per pound?
Am I correct on this?

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Wardster,[p]What you say you can do - except for the last part and opening it wide open - but I would suggest a higher dome temp or you will be there a lot longer than needed. The plateau will be anywhere from 160-175 deg and I would bump the temps from 250 to 275-300 after the first hour (more if you are in a hurry).[p]Tim
  • Wardster
    Options
    Tim M,
    After the initial hour, or after the first hour of hitting the plateau?
    Thanks

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Wardster
    Options
    Tim M,
    And how is the outer banks treating you? I should like you up with my father for some striper fishing, the time is coming.....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Wardster,[p]You won't know that it is the plateau for about an hour or more - then raise the temps.[p]Outer Banks are nice - no hurricanes!!!!!!!!!! Water temp is 78°[p]Tim