Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just took the second butt off

Options
SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:

Started two butts last night at about 8:00pm. Total weight of the two was about 16.5#, however one was quite a bit smaller than the other.

Here they are right after I put them on. The smaller one got DP Red Eye Express and the large one got DP Shakin' the Tree.
PQ711010.jpg

I had the BBQ Guru meat probe in the larger one and the Maverick ET73 meat probe in the small one, with the ET73 other probe in the thermo hole. Wasn't expecting rain last night, but always like to keep it covered just in case.
PQ711003.jpg

Here they are after about 2.5 hours (just before I went to bed).
PQ711001.jpg

Got up this morning and checked the temps and the small one was at 195, let it ride until it reached 200 at about 8:00am. The large one was only to 185 by then. Just before taking off the small one.
PQ711006.jpg

At about 10:00am the large one reached 199 to 201 every place I checked and the probes went in & out like a hot knife through butter, so off came the large one. It was difficult getting it off as it wanted to fall apart. Here is a close up of a piece that fell off and the bark.
PQ711008.jpg

They are now wrapped in two layers of Aluminum foil and a towel resting in a small cooler for me to pull later today. The in-laws are coming in tonight so they will get to have some of "Jay's butt" again.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Darn Jay, you've just about got this 'Egg'n' stuff down pat. Keep it up and Kathy will have you cooking all the meals LOL...

Looks great.

Spring "Learing To Cook The Really Really Really Old Fashioned Way" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    PS Rodney Dangerbird said to tell you hi and that he loves it here.

Spring "Rodney Dangerbird's Spokesperson" Chicken
  • MN_Chuck
    MN_Chuck Posts: 26
    Options
    What temp did you have the guru set? Do I see the pit probe in the dome hole? And finally did you use a plate setter - is that alum foil for the drip pan?

Sorry for all of the ques.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Those look delicious - I can smell them from here.

I did three for the 4th using Shakin' the Tree - awesome flavor.

Cheers!

jason
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Leroy:

What do you mean "will" have me cooking all the meals...about the only things she cooks now is warming up leftovers (and occasionally some of those nasty veggies that she eats). :laugh: Hopefully she won't read this post.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Say howdy to Rodney for us. Don't tell him yet, but we are trying to figure out a way to surprise him at the Ranch's mini gathering in October.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning MN_Chuck:

The guru was set at about 250 initially, but I dropped it to 225 when I went to bed. That is the Maverick ET73 pit probe in the dome hole, the guru pit probe is attached to the grate (see the first picture, right side). I did use a platesetter with the feet up. I use a disposable aluminum drip pan that I line with foil to make sure the butts have foil under them completely and everything can drop into the pan.

Ask all the questions you want, that is the only way to find out the answers.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Jason:

Shakin' the Tree is by far one of our favorite flavors. It goes so well with just about anything.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• MN_Chuck
    MN_Chuck Posts: 26
    Options
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    I couldn't agree more - use it all the time.

Goes really well on a fried egg sandwich.

1-7-08_mcscruffin_3_web.jpg
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Randy:

Now you're sounding like my in-laws when they come down. All they talk about is "Jay's butt" :laugh: Got to keep the in-laws happy! :evil:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    This Forum has got to be the only place in the world where one guy can tell another guy he has a "nice butt" and it not be considered wierd LOL...

Spring "Butt Officer...!!!" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    FANTASTIC!!! I know he will be surprised and thrilled that you could be here.

I would send the Ranch jet to get you but there's been some sort of snag in the funding department. Nigeria keeps telling me to send them money in order for them to send money to me. I think NOT! And the Irish Lottery was a bit strange to start with because I didn't even purchase a ticket. And you already know about the Texas Lottery Commission's rule about having to come to Austin to collect the funds.

They sure make it difficult to live big these days.

So as it stands right now, my jet is still in the works.

We will look forward to seeing y'all.

Spring "Flying High In Four Wheel Drive" Chicken
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Spring Chicken:

I'm not promising we will be there, but we are trying to find a way to pull it off. We seem to be having the same "funding" issues as you are...don't know why those Nigerians, Irish and Lotto people aren't cooperating. :laugh:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Unknown
    Options
    I am trying to register at the forum but do not understand what 'handle' means.
    Please help :(
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    Val KAzanli is your "handle"
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy,Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy,Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy,Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy....
    Spring "eggcited and crossing her fingers" Hen
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Better in laws that ship mates! :whistle:
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I say we do lunch at your house Tuesday.
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Gene:

What makes you think there will be any left by then!!! :laugh:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• ViennaJack
    ViennaJack Posts: 357
    Options
    They look delicious!