Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

London Broil Needs Cooking!

Ranger1
Ranger1 Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
O.k. ladies and gents, Ranger1 is ready to try a London Broil for supper tonight. It's small, 1.83 lbs., but I'd like to cook it up for about a 6 p.m. meal. Suggestions on meat prep., temps., times, etc. I want the meat to be well done; no red stuff! (My wife prefers it where a good vet can still save it!) Thanks in advance.. r1

Comments

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Ranger1,[p]Tray marinating it in a bottle of guinness with some minced garlic. That's how I usally do London broil, and it always turns out excellent.[p]Rub it with some salt, black pepper and onion poweder and cook it like you would cook a steak (sear each side and let it simmer).

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S09_29_9917_43_07.jpg
    <p />Ranger1, London Broil was the 1st thing that I cooked on the BGE and the results were great. I started with "Mike's Dad's Salad Dressing / Marinade" found in the recipe/marinate section - dome temp of 700 degrees - 3 minutes per side - then closed down the vents - removed with an internal tem of 130 degrees. Outstanding![p]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Ranger1, Do the cook as described by Gfw or BluesNBBQ, put on a blind fold..let your wonderful wife slice and spoon feed you, and you will be whimpering for another bite. Conversion to medium rare is that simple..heeeeee.
    Cheers..C~W
    More sirloin tonight..marinating in (Killians Irish Red) since I was out of the super Gillian's..:-)[p]

• Ranger1
    Char-Woody, Whimpering is a good thing and I can whimper with the best of em! Now if I can just find that blind fold..... Medium rare..does that mean the vet uses one extra bandage? Got to run fire up old smokey. I'll keep you guys posted. No pun intended. Thanks ww

• Ranger1
    Gfw, Thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot now! r1

• Ranger1
    Char-Woody, Call me a rebel but I'm steppin out on a limb. We have found this "steak seasoning," called "Dale's," and we have been using it with various things. I marinated the LB in this stuff for about 3 hours now. Hope I have not created a monster here, but this Dale's sauce is sooo good on everything else, I figured I'd give it a shot. This stuff is made in Alabama according to the bottle has been made for 50 years. Ever heard of it? r1

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Ranger1,
    Dale's is a great sauce and will do justice to the LB. You might want to try Moore's it has the same flavor with a less salty taste. It too is made here in Alabama.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Ranger1, No..but if you need my address?? Let me know how it goes..I have a small corner in my spice closet for one or two more additions :-)
    C~W

• Gfw
    Ranger1, would you believe - I looked in the fridge and found a bottle of "Dales" steak sauce - I shared some beef jerky with a friend from Mississippi last time I made it and he sent a bottle of Dales Steak Sauce - we've never tried it - please let me know how it turns out.[p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Gfw,
    Please feel free to send me the bottle of Dales and I will return a report of how I liked it.[p]Tim -- I'll be watching the mail :]

• Gfw
    Tim M, we can all have dreams! Maybe if I make it to EggFest2000 I'll bring it along - or at least the empty bottle!

• Ranger1
    Gfw, Oh yes. It worked. See my most recent post. Thanks, r1

• Gfw
    R1, in anticiations that it was as good as you stated, I used it for the marinate on my beef jerky - I'll post the results tomorrow - Jerky = 12 Hours Marinate & 12 Hours Cooking Time - have a great evening :-)

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    JJ,
    The salty taste your refering to is MSG (fake flavoring).
    Mark

• Ranger1, My momma fed me Dales from a bottle when she delivered me in the pea patch way back yonder. (Women were tough back then, and newborns had dirt in their hair) Dales is great, but a little on the salty side. If you can find it, get some Moore's Marinade. It is just as good with a little less salt. It's made in Birmingham which is the yankee part of Alabama. Moore's is the "Official Marinade of Talladega. If I have to explain what Talladega is about,,, just stick with A-1 and catsup.