Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Bricks...what be those?

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hearing things about firebricks and how to use. Can you enlighten me? What are firebricks, where do you get them, when do you use them?[p]MShark[p]

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    brick.jpg
    <p />MollyShark,
    I have them in several rib cooking adventures of my web site. Link below there are several pics in the MSC pictures section too.[p]They act as a radiant heat shield as does the drip pan or the plate setter or pizza stone. One is about as good as another as far as results go. The setter has the advantage of being one piece. Fire bricks are cheap and hard to find. You won't find them at a local hdw unless they sell fireplaces or wood stoves. Try those places or brick yards. They should cost less than $2.00 ea.[p]Tim

[ul][li]Tims bge pictures /cookbook[/ul]
  • Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    MollyShark,[p]Tim has some great stuff on his site doesn't he? Fire bricks come thick or thin. The pic tim posted show the thin ones - about the same dimensions as a "paver". The others are about as big as a regular brick. Tanker Tim uses terra cotta pots. Others have said not to use a regular brick as there is a chance that they might explode!
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MollyShark, here is some actual pics and the specs for real firebricks..Rutland Products. US Stove also makes and distributes a identical product.[p]
    [ul][li]Fire Bricks and stuff.[/ul]
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    MollyShark,
    They call them fire bricks because they use them in fire places, among other things. I have 3 thick ones that I use to elevate a second grate and 2 thin ones for buffering a drip pan. They are not difficult to find...some lumber yards carry them, certainly brickyards. I found my source by asking some people at Home Depot. Turns out they were about a mile from my house. The cost 75 cents apiece.
    JimW