Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Build them in or set them free?

Options
Franco
Franco Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have one egg in a nest and another in a cart, but the other day I saw a grill that was built-in that looked very good.[p]Do any of you that have built yours in have any regrets? Also what do some of note as some strong pro's and con's of each?[p]Thanks, Frank

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Franco,
    I am planning on doing both, so to speak. My table will have a door that swings open so the nest can be wheeled out. My patio is poured Terazo so it's smooth and easy to roll on. Again, this is all in theory. I won't 'break ground' until next year.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • LasVegasMac
    Options
    Franco,[p]How could even consider keeping this beautiful creature caged up! God meant for all things to be free - to fly the open plains - to roam the great backyards unhindered...[p]Oops...sorry...wrong forum. Hehe.[p]Seriously, I'm glad you asked this question. I have two BGE's parked in nests and am pondering putting them in something more permanent this fall. The responses should be interesting.[p]LVM

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    image-display?photo_id=621797&size=md
    <p />Franco,
    Here's a photo of mine. When I purchased my large Egg three years ago there was no mention that a nest was available. I really didn't have a clue as to accessories. Plus the fact that I had no idea what it was I just purchased or how to use it. So I set it directly on my deck and did a lot of bending over until I figured out that I could make a table for it. Actually, I saw the BGE Table plans on the Forum and thought I could modify them to fit my needs. I think it turned out pretty good. I would NEVER be without a table of some kind. Mine is stationary but I have seen some really neat roll-a-bouts for those situations where mobility is needed. A fixed table has its advantages though. for one thing you can have a lot of counter space and plenty of storage space. My next one will also include some other cool ideas. But that's a couple of years away when I get my Small (or Medium).[p]No matter what you decide on you will still enjoy every minute of your cooks. Good luck.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Franco
    Franco Posts: 88
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Thanks for the information, but the picture did not post.[p]Thanks again, Frank
  • Franco,
    I have had a large egg in a table for 1 year. I used the plans from the egg website. I modified it to put rollers on the legs so I can move it about. Being able to move it easily is great. I bought some metal rollers at the hardware store that are not supposed to rust and they do well. I wouldn't do without my table.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Franco, I have three eggs. My mini is in a small table. My medium is in a larger table. My large is in a nest. The advantage to the small table an dthe nest is that I can wheel them onto the porch when it rains. The table on the medium is too large to wheel through the door. However, the advantage to the tables is that they provide a work surface. I like the idea of the nest with the pop up side tables. That seems to give the best of both worlds.

• Franco,
    I would strongly reccomend that you put that Humpty in a table. It will withstand any kind of weather, and if you have it in a nest, you are risking it tipping over when you move it. IF YOU DECIDE TO KEEP IT IN A NEST, DO NOT EVER PUSH IT!!! ONLY PULL IT, BECAUSE IF YOU PUSH IT AND HIT A BUMP AND IT STARTS TO GO OVER, IT WILL BREAK.
    Seth

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    image-display?photo_id=961671&size=md
    <p />Spring Chicken,
    Now I'm get'n mad. I will try again and if it does not stay posted I'm going to drop my photo service. Funny thing, as soon as I posted the photos thye would appear for a few minutes. When I check it later it has the "Photo Not Available" message.[p]Communists!!!![p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Franco,
    We had no need tomove it around, so ours is very permanent. It is bricked in with a tile table top, has hooks for hanging tools, and storage for all the other stuff. No need to worry about wood choices, and what kind of finish![p]~nikki

[ul][li]Our Egg[/ul]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    nikkig,
    Very nice looking. The bricks look normal but I have never seen the round marks on the top of them, can you please explain? I could understand if it were block wall and they were holes for the wire to go in.
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Those bricks have holes through them, they are not solid. Many of your construction bricks are made like this. You never see the holes when the project is finished because they are usually capped off with something.