Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooked Boston Butt on Dad's Egg for 4th

Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Eggheads,
I drove down to my Dad's house July 3rd. I cooked chicken breasts for dinner on his medium Egg simple rub sprayed with EVOO. For sides we had peas and wild rice.
Shut the egg down... and got out two Butt's I purchased before reaching Dad's house. I rubbed them with Bad Byron's and coated them with mustard. Got the Butts on the Egg at 9 Pm central on the 3rd the next morning after 9 I noticed the temp in egg had dropped to 200 degrees so I took the butts out covered them with foil, took out the plate setter etc. Stirred the ash tool around and added some more royal oak. Waited for the dark smoke to clear and then returned the butts for the finishing cook. At 11:30 am the butts hit 190 and I took them up wrapped them in double foil and wrapped them with a towel. At 12:30 pm I unwrapped and pulled the pork by 1:30 pm everyone had pulled pork sandwiches with beans and potato salad. Mom Said it was the best BBQ she had ever had Dad Liked it so much he ate 3 sandwiches. Whole family was raving about the food :blush::blush:
VERY SUCCESSFUL 4th indeed Sorry No Pictures :(
BUT GREAT MEMORIES :)
~Pharmeggist

Comments

• Sounds like a great weekend. My Dad passed away almost 3 years ago, I bought my egg about six months after he died. I wish my Dad could have enjoyed the meals that come of the egg...he would have absolutely loved this food. I think about him often when I cooking.

Glad you had a good weekend with your Dad.
  • Pharmeggist
    I forgot to mention that this was the first overnight cook on my Dad's Medium egg Ever. Second I forgot to mention that the Butts were about 61bs each.

Dad hasn't cooked them because he has fond memories JOKE of his non-egg smoker I won't say names :whistle:
    Anyway, my Mom said that is why he hadn't tried cooking any on his egg. I believe he will now :)
    ~Pharmeggist
  • Pharmeggist
    Thanks,
    Sorry about your Dad. I lost my Grand Dad last year and My Grandmother got to eat with us and she loved the BBQ too! She gave me one of My Grand Daddy's bibles and I am going to give it to my son Andrew someday (he will turn 1 July 23rd) My Grandfather got to see him before he passed.... he wanted a grandson with the family name so bad. I love how the Holidays bring family together. I really enjoyed cooking for everyone it was one of the best times I have had doing something like this.
    ~Pharmeggist
  • Sounds like the start of a tradition . . ? Kudos for the eggsellent results.

I've only once smoked pulled pork, with a boston butt about the same 6lb size. I certainly didn't cook it overnight. I haven't yet tried to o/n, too. But, I smoked it about 6 hours I recall. This was b/f I started logging my cooks. Anyway, methinks I pulled the meat at 170 - 180 degrees F.

I'm sure it's more tender after that longer cook of yours, eh?

Again (eggain?) Next Time! I've made a LOT of meals once each on the egg. I'm eager to make improvements with each iteration . . .

-Dr. Eggstein
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i am happy for you. i enjoy reading these kind of posts...although it is overused and sounds a bit trite Emeril is right when he says "feel the love" when he is cooking. i think that is the real joy of eggin. what a blessing to be able to share that with your parents.
    bill
  • Edg
    Edg Posts: 5
    I tried a boston butt myself.... I am new to the egg and this was my 1st attempt.... I did the injection as shown in the egg cook book that comes with the egg and oated it with mustard and then sprinkled the rub on it... I had the temp at 250 and placed it on the grill at 6:30pm last night... when I got up this morning at 6:30am the temp was down to 100 and the meat was chared to a crisp.... Was highly dissapointed in myself as we have company coming after church to eat.... I did not use my place setter was that the problem???? The recipe in the cook book said to cook for 18 hours at 230.... I have been having a very hard time cooking at the lower temps (below 275) looking for help... thanks