Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

controling temp.

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
HELP!! Ijust got my first BGE. It has been worth every cent I paid.My only problem so far is this...How can I get my temp. down to 200 deg. I have a daisy wheel. Even when I close both the daisy wheel and the bottom damper, my egg seems to like to stay at about 300 deg. for several hrs. It seems like the egg doesn't like lower temps.Is this a big deal or should I learn to live with it? Or should I not be wasting my time trying to cook at that low of a temp? Thanks for any advice or help. THE BGE RULES!!

Comments

• James J. Frisque,
    Just takes a little practice, but is easily done. Will enclose an e-mail that you may like to pursue. Hope Tim doesn't mind!
    His e-mail is minnon@gcdies.com[p]Attached you will se a picture of the rings in action.

I have been using my rings for over 2 years now and wouldn't cook with anything else.
    The set of 11 numbered rings sells for $50. I pay all shipping costs. Heck I paid $36 for that daisy wheel that I never use now.

You'll love cooking with them. They just make you a better cook is all, and what's the matter with that?

Let me know if you would like a set.
    Attached you will se a picture of the rings in action.

I have been using my rings for over 2 years now and wouldn't cook with anything else.
    The set of 11 numbered rings sells for $50. I pay all shipping costs. Heck I paid $36 for that daisy wheel that I never use now.

You'll love cooking with them. They just make you a better cook is all, and what's the matter with that?

Let me know if you would like a set.

Mick

Original Message

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 9:19 AM[p]Mick

Original Message

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 9:19 AM

• Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    There is a bit of a learning curve with controlling temps with the egg.
    When I first got my large last Christmas I could hardly hold a temp within 150 degrees.
    Learning to hold temps is just like the old joke about how to get to Carengie Hall. Practice, practice, practice.
    Here are some tips I have learned.
    1) the egg heats up easier than it cools down (you know that)
    2) Start controlling BEFORE you hit your target temp. The egg can coast up quite a few degrees. (Like 50 degrees before)
    3) Everybody lights their egg slightly differently. I use Weber starter cubes, for low and slow set on top of the lump, when going for a nuke cook at the bottom of the lump. You can light from the bottom for low and slow, but it only takes minutes before the temp is skyrocketing.
    4)To control temps down around 200 the vents will be way more closed that you would expect.
    5) Vent position will vary with air temp, and humidity. Also with lump. (Not by much mind you, but it will vary)
    6) Again personal preference I use the lower vent for gross control (+ or - 50* or more) And I use the daisy wheel for fine control (<50*)
    7) If you do get the egg too hot, try this to reduce temp.
    Warning, before trying this go to The Naked Whiz's web page and read and watch about flashback! You have been warned!
    OK if the egg get too hot, close both the top and bottom vent completly. wait about 1 minute and quickly lift and then close the lid. The temp will drop between 25-50 degrees. Wait about 1 minute more and repeat. keep repeating until the temp gets to what you want and then open the bottom vent and use the daisy. Last week I brought my large from 650 down to 350 this way in just a few minutes.[p]Now with all that said, try this.
    clean out your egg (not necessary every time, but let's start with a known here)
    fill with lump (new or old or a mixture)
    Open bottom vent wide
    Light from the top, starter cube, Mapp torch whatever
    Close lid
    Temp will go to about 200 then drop off when starter cube is burnt out.
    When temp starts to come back up again close bottom vent to about 1/2 inch from fully closed.
    Place daisy wheel on lid, slider closed, and small vents about 1/2 closed
    Watch temps if more is needed open daisy, less close the daisy down. Remember a little goes a long way.[p]Hope this helps[p]With a little practice you will be able to light a fire and plop the daisy on and KNOW it will hit the temp you want.[p]

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Basselope,[p]Great post! A lot of good information here. This would be good as part of a quick-start guide for folks just starting out with the egg. [p]I'm gonna have to try your technique of reducing heat at one minute intervals... cool idea.
    And I agree, a little temp adjustment goes a long way... once you tweak the temp controls, be patient, wait and give it time for the temp to adjust on it's own before tweaking again.[p]Beers![p]WD

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Basselope ,
    Excellent description! Exactly what a lot of the newbies need.

• Strmn2Smoke,[p]I absolutely agree. The rings rock! Using the rings really flattened out my learning curve.[p]ln n' slo
  • Strmn2Smoke,
    Have a set on order. I have the multiple posts from MickyT from 2/25 with illustrations. Will you send the action photo?

• Basselope ,Thanks for the fast reply.Your info will be a lot of help. Being new to the BGE I want to learn as much as I can. Getting the temp up is not a big problem, but getting it down seems to take a little doing. I will try your suggestions. THANKS!!!!!!![p][p] JIM F.

• Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    ::: Kicks toe in dirt :::
    Shucks guys thanks for the kudos.
    Just trying to pass along what I know.
    If anybody wants to post my info into a an FAQ for newbies feel free. If you ask nice I might even go back and clean up the grammer