Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why I drilled my dome

UnConundrum
UnConundrum Posts: 536
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last weekend Mike in Abita was kind enough to do some test drilling in his broken dome. His thread is HERE

Seemed like some controversy why anyone would want to void their warranty, so I figured I'd post some pictures of what I did...

I have my egg built into a Bally Block worktable, inside an abandoned smokehouse. I brought the dome sensor up the back of the dome to the new hole; a 1/8 inch was sufficient.

P1020478.JPG

That keeps the dome cable out of the way.
I then sealed the factory thermometer hole in the front. (Sorry for how dirty the egg is....)

P1020479.JPG

I attached the pit probe to the side wall. As you can see, it's very unlikely it will touch food or get in the way due to the size.

P1020480.JPG

Here's the inside of the dome. Can you see the probe? It barely sticks through the dome.

P1020481.JPG

Here's a closer one from the side where you can see it. Once again, very unlikely it will ever touch something I'm cooking:

P1020482.JPG

Here's a picture of the improved work area. Stoker to the rear, pit cable coming out of the table, and the one cable draped across the table is the sensor for the food. Everything else is tucked away.

P1020483.JPG

And, just to christen it, Did a TRex tonight. Use the stoker fan to go nuclear ;) All sensors worked well, and survived the temps.

P1020475.JPG

THANKS again Mike !

Comments