Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp problem with Guru after good night

Babyray
Babyray Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Started 8# brisket on lower grid and 2 8# pork shoulders on raised grid with water in drip pan on plate setter with legs up at about 5 yesterday afternoon. Set pit temp for 250 and internal to go to 195 on each piece of meat.. Everything worked fine until about 6 this morn.. Pork up to 183 brisket about the same, but temp in egg will not get above 210 even with Guru wide open.. Have plenty of coal.. the pork and brisket seem ok as to texture (fork test) Do you sometimes take it off at 183..Tested with 3 thermometers including thermapen.. Should I take it apart to see if bottom grate is stopped up.. I cleaned the egg thru and thru yesterday before I started..

Thanks, Ray

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Ray, your grate is partially or completely blocked with ash. Take a wire coat hanger, open it up, and bend it in an "L" shape with the short end about 3' long. Open draft door and poke up through the holes in the grate and you should get going in no time.
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    even with Guru wide open
    Just to be sure, that means the fan was running, not just that you had it set to run? Could the Guru have been in ramp mode, and it was intentionally dropping the temp? Is the 210 dome or pit?
  • Babyray
    Babyray Posts: 250
    Found the problem...I had filled up to and beside the fire ring with Royal Oak.. Had done same many times before and had a lot oflump left after 18 hrs or more..I took it all off and turned out I was out of charcoal.. Had nothing but ash left..filled back up and going strong..No worry about meat as it had all been to 183.

Thanks to all of you.

Ray
  • CaptGrumpy
    CaptGrumpy Posts: 58
    What kind of lump are you using?
    All of my eggs will go over 18-20 hours with ease using Lazzari or Royal Oak lump and have left overs. I haven't tried a long smoke on my small so I can't vouch for it yet.