Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Relighting charcoal

Options
jonboy
jonboy Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been relighting with a paper towel and oil. It seems to work better than newspaper and firestarters.
I remove the old lump, put in new and place old lump on top.
I seem to make a BIG Mess with the lump dust and
getting the ash out of my Medium cooker.
I am looking for an easier and cleaner way if there is one. Would i be better off with a mapp torch or electric lighter? Can i just pour new lump on top of the older lump or does it need to be on the bottom?
I was looking at nakedwhizs site with the tables from an earlier post and everything looks a lot cleaner than my area.
thanks for any insight,
jonboy

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    stir the old lump to let the ash fall, add new lump if you need, and relight.

no real need to ever take lump out, other than as ash through the lower vent eventually.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    I usually just stir the old lump with the ash tool so the ashes fall down through the fire grate, add the new lump on top, and light it.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Hmm..

Great minds and all that.
  • jonboy
    Options
    i will give the lump a stir and add more.
    is using a mapp torch or electric easier
    to relight? I would be more inclined to
    try a mapp torch because it doesnt have a cord to
    drag along.
    jon
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I guess I have been doing it defferent than everybody else. I stir up the old lump to get rid of the ashes too but then scoop out the old lump with a plastic bucket. Put in some big pieces of new lump and top it off with the old. I re-light with a propane (not MAPP) torch.It is a bit messier that way. It seems to almost eliminate the burning off stage though.

Whatever shakes your grate!
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    If building a fire for a long, slow cook, I would empty and build from the bottom up. For most cooks, I'm in the stir and add camp.
  • jonboy
    Options
    I will be burning some chickens this afternoon.
    I will give the stirup method a try.
    I saw a mapp torch with a long hose on it at lows last week. Not sure if it is worth a try. I cook several times a week on the egg now. Lots of experimenting with a new toy. I guess that is part of being a newbie egghead.
    jon