Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Brisket and the Ice Chest

Options
Dr. Eggstein
Dr. Eggstein Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A lot of the recipes and instructions I've read for smoking Briskets have the step to wrap the brisket and place in an ice chest (without ice) for a few hours. WHY is this step advised? Is a brisket ready to serve after the internal temp reaches ~195 ºC?

Comments

• UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    Allows the juices to redistribute within the brisket, while keeping it warm. Makes a huge difference.
  • jamiemeyer
    jamiemeyer Posts: 97
    Options
    I tried it once without that step, and was very disappointed. After a 20 hour cook, I expected to find a damn fine piece of meat. What I learned was that it should be a 20 hour cook, followed by two hours rest in foil, with plenty of beef broth to absorb.
    I only made that mistake once.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Go with the ice chest. it really does make a difference. The biggest thing why I like using it is you can "plan" all you want the time it is going to come of the egg but once in awhile it need more time, or even less, this keeps it hot and tender and juicy and ready to serve when you want it to be served. And the ones that take longer are always the ones you have 10 people waiting to eat. :unsure: if it is just the two of you you can set your watch by it :angry: LOL Julie