Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt/Cajun Injector question

Vincent Chase
Vincent Chase Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be smoking three, 8lb. pork butts over the weekend, using my newly arrived John Henry Pecan Rub, Bad Byron's Butt Rub, and the DP Red Eye Express on each one respectively.

I was wondering if you guys had ever made a marinade that you injected into the pork butts that you could recommend, given the rubs that I'll be using.
I have some apple chips on hand that I plan on using as well.

While I'm here, will there be any problem with having 3 differently rubbed butts going on at the same time?

Also, I know it's generally 2 hours per pound cook time if the dome temp is 250, but how does the formula change with the 3 butts on? I'm imagining close to 24 hours, but any feedback or experience anyone has with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

VC

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    My guess you will be in the 12-14 hour range. Leave room for air to flow around the butts. You could put on on the grid and use a raised grid for the other two. I don't inject butts but there is a recipe on many boards for the injection Chris Lilly from Big Bob Gibson uses. Mostly water, sugar and apple juice.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I would use the same rub for all three, then maybe try a different one next cook. In my opinioin, there won't be a tremendously different taste anyway. Also, by using the same rub on all, you won't have to be so careful keeping it all seperated during the pulling/chopping process.
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Apple cider is the injection of choice, Personelly I wouldn't take the time, Pork butt is probably the most forgiving cook in all of BBQ land you will get all the moisture you will need from the meat itself. For a good crust slather cheap yellow mustard all over your butts then put your rub on, you will not taste the mustard on the final product.
    FireWalker
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I have injected butts using apple juice and some JH pecan rub. The rub is fine enough that it injects with no problems.

Honestly, I didn't notice much difference and would say it isn't worth the effort with an egg since it retains moisture so well to being with.
  • Thank you all for taking the time to write.

Not sure if I'll end up going with the injection based on the feedback, but I'll look up the recipe and if it's stuff I already have here, maybe I'll give it a whirl. It'll be a grill time decision :laugh:

As for going with the three different rubs, one on each butt, I'll hold off on that as well. I got my package of rubs yesterday, along with some Blue's Hog and BBGibson's sauces so I guess I got a little eager about wanting to use them all so quick.

Definetly going with the John Henry Pecan rub. Never used it before, and it smells and tastes delicious. I understand what the hype is all about!
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I like the idea of using 3 different rubs and being able to taste-test them side-by-side rather than trying to rely on the memory of your taste buds the next time. Don't give up on it too quickly! Also, I cooked two butts, one with, and one without mustard. The one without mustard got first place from the crowd. Haven't tried injecting butts as yet. Gotta believe that a mix of apple cider vinegar and spices would be a huge bonus! Happy Eggin'~~~
  • jekinms
    jekinms Posts: 7
    Did 3 8+ lb butts last weekend, all rubbed with Bad Byrons. I did'nt inject, but they took 18 hrs, 2 were done (197) in about 17, and the 3rd was at about 184 and took a little longer.