Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5.5 lb pork tenderloin

tipc1
tipc1 Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need info on doing a 5.5 lb pork tenderloin as far as time and temperature. Should I smoke it any? If so, what kind of wood should I use? I don't want to do any of the "jellyroll" deals I've seen. Just a simple cook. What internal temp do I shoot for without drying it out?
Thanks.

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    tipc1,[p]I did one a few weeks back and was told 140° - 150° max on internal temperature if you want it moist. I pulled mine off at 150° and it was overcooked. I used a recipe from the Jamison's "Smoke and Spice" called Memphis Style Pork Loin, which was OUTSTANDING! Cook temp, I believe, was between 200° and 220°. If you're interested, I can post the recipe when I get home tonight, but I know it had both a rub and a finishing sauce that was used to baste during the last 30-45 minutes. Once EXCELLENT tasting sauce that I also later used on baby-backs (another wonderful cook). You'll be happy with the results, especially if you don't overcook the loin (ours was good, but I could see greatness when done properly!!!).[p]Cheers, QBabe
    :-)

• QBabe
    tipc1:[p]Sorry, forgot to mention, I used no additional wood, just the lump...and this recipe isn't the jelly-roll type.[p]QBabe

• tipc1,
    I recently did the "jelly-roll" type and overall it was very good...HOWEVER I did not think the jelly addition did anything for the meat overall. Would not do the "jelly" thing again..... JMHO.nde

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    tipc1, is it a pork loin or a pork tenderloin?

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Strmn2Smoke,
    Do you recall what or who's recipe you used???
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    tipc1,[p]You have a LOIN, not a tenderloin. Tenderloins are approx. 1 lb. and are normally sold pre-packaged with 2 per pack.[p]The biggest difference you will have is the cooking time. Tenderloins cook much quicker than a loin.[p]I personally prefer my loins and tenderloins grilled over high heat. I first sear each side over high heat....500-600º....for about 5 minutes per side. Turn the heat back to 400º and cook an additional 40-50 minutes until the internal reads 140º. I turn every 10 minutes and baste at that time with your favorite mop.

I have also started to brine this cut of meat(I also brine thick cut chops). This has been a huge improvement for me. Much moister meat and less of a chance to overcook it dry.[p]I add a dry rub after brining and if time permits, I let it sit overnight. If not, let the rub sit for as long as possible.[p]If you would like many recipes for pork, follow the link below to my recipe page at Recipe Goldmine. Lots of good info..including articles on grilling pork, brining, and many sauces and rubs.[p]Stogie

[ul][li]Stogie's Recipe Page[/ul]
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    New Bob,[p]
    Check out this great site.

[ul][li]Ravnhaus site[/ul]
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    tipc1,
    I would oil up with some Italian dressing, apply a light rub of choice, and then wrap well with bacon. I like to add a crust of thick ground pepper to the final result.
    Cook at a smoking 350° for about an hour or so. I prefer the indirect method using drip pan,fire brick, and some elevation so that the bacon doesn't flare up in the coals
    The key is in the internal temp. Get an accurate reading, pull at 140° max, and let sit for 10 minutes or so.
    You will have a slightly pink and quite juicy piece of pork.

[ul][li]Ravnhaus BBQ[/ul]
  • QBabe
    OK, here's the recipe....[p]For the Memphis Barbecue Rub:
    2 tbsp sea salt
    1 tbsp light brown cane sugar
    1 tsp lemon pepper
    1 tsp fine ground black pepper
    1 tsp cayenne
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon[p]also need:
    1 3-5 lb pork loin
    1/2 cup yellow mustard[p]To make the rub, combine the salt, sugar, lemon pepper, black pepper, cayenne, chili powder, dry mustard, garlic, and cinnamon in a bowl and blend well. Store in an airtight container in a cool dark place. [p]Rub or paint the pork loin all over with the yellow mustard. Season all over with the rub (I coated pretty heavily and it was GREAT). Place on your cooker and smoke for 3-5 hours or until the internal temperature is 140° - 165° (I shot for 150° - in the middle - but was dry...I'd suggest pull off at 140° and let sit for 10-15 minutes). During the last 30-45 minutes, glaze, using 1 cup of the barbecue sauce.[p]For the Memphis Style Barbecue sauce:
    2 cups ketchup
    1 cup cider vinegar
    1 stick butter
    1/2 cup dark brown cane sugar
    1/4 cup yellow mustard
    1/4 cup Worchestershire sauce
    1 tsp Tabasco sauce
    3 whole lemons[p]To make the sauce, combine the ketchup, vinegar, butter, sugar, mustard, Worchestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, and lemons in a saucepan (I cut the lemons in half, squeezed them and tossed juice and rinds into the sauce). Bring to a boil, stirring with a wire wisk. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the lemons before serving. Use 1 cup to baste with and the rest can go on the table with the pork.[p]BTW, I misquoted the source for this...it was from "Smoke It" by Paul Kirk. Also, the recipe doesn't give a dome temperature. I had seen numerous ones in the 200° to 220° range so that is what I did. Mine took about 4-5 hrs (but, again, it was overcooked...don't do that!). If you have a good thermometer, just go by that. And, don't get me wrong, it was pretty darn tasty and we still ate it! As a matter of fact, we still froze the leftovers to use some other time...! It just could have been less dry if I had pulled it off earlier...[p]Enjoy,
    QBabe

• New Bob,
    http://homepage.mac.com/ravnhaus/4.24.02ploin.html
    You may have to copy and paste to your browser...[p]This will get you all you will ever want to know..lol
    Hope this helps...nde

• tipc1
    QBabe,
    thanks for your response. I'll give it a try. Have a good one.

• tipc1
    Gfw,
    It is a pork loin...sorry for the misinformation. I just learned of the difference. Thanks for any suggestions you
    make.

• tipc1,
    I use a combination of dry rup and glaze
    Cook the tenderloin with dry rup first and when almost done apply glaze. [p]1. Dry rub:
    - crushed fennel seed,
    - garlic powder,
    - black pepper and
    - Kosher salt.[p]
    Orange Pineapple Glaze:
    - 3/4 cup concentrated orange juice
    - 1/2 cup crushed pineapple with juice (I use canned)
    - fresh rosemary (if you have it. Its fine with out it.)
    - 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar[p]Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat and reduce to half; then add 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and simmer for another minute. [p]I hope you like it.
    claudio[p]