Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Stuffed Roaster Chicken

sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night saw the egg cooking a dirt simple roaster but it was by far one of the best whole chickens I've cooked on the egg so I thought I'd share it. The local Kroger had whole roasters on sale for .29 cents a pound so I bought 4 and froze three for later, couldn't pass up that deal.[p]Anyway, at noon I cleaned the bird (about 5-6 pounds) and rubbed the entire chicken, inside and out, with about 2 TBSP of butter. I then put on some "spicy chicen rub" that I picked up at Sams last weekend. Forgot the manufacturer but I can get it if anyone is intereste. I put the rub on the skin, not under it, and put a couple TBSP inside the cavity also. I stuffed the cavity with a quartered white onion, a couple stalks of celery, a green pepper, and some fresh minced garlic, about 5 cloves, and then threw in 3 whole cloves for safe measure. I tied the neck skin together to keep the stuff inside and I also tied the legs together to do the same on the other end. I put the chicken in a large storage bag and poured about 4-5 TBSP of Worchesteshier (sp) over the whole thing and let it sit in the fridge until it was ready to cook.[p]I got the egg stabilized about 350, threw the bird on indirect over some hickory nut shells for smoke and let it go about 2 1/4 hours. Don't know the internal temp, it just felt done.[p]Like I said, one of the best whole roasters I've made, bar none, and I wanted to share with the group.[p]Troy

Comments

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    sprinter,[p]Sounds to me like the only thing you forgot to do was tie the dogs up to keep them out of the Chicken. :0 Sounds like a great recipe think I'll give her a try.[p]Elder Ward
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Elder Ward,[p]Not too far from the truth Elder but sadly my furry friends passed over the past couple of years. I used to have a St. Brenard and a Great Pyrenese, both amazing dogs and just as loveable as could be. Got them both as pups about the same time so they grew up together. They loved to see me start the grill and eventually the egg as they knew that they would invariably get the first taste of whatever came off of it. Not too many times did they turn their noses up at it. I often used to cook an extra of whatever I was cooking, just for them to share. I think they would have liked this chicken too. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.[p]Troy